• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

So its fools gold than?
65c7f465c1047ea9c8ccd522ec10045930811e05.jpg

@SiRacer420 have you ever cut a pair of lenses from 2 of the same side lens. As in can you get a L/R set if you have two Left or Right lenses, rather than L/R donor set... or would that cause issues?

@SiRacer420 have you ever cut a pair of lenses from 2 of the same side lens. As in can you get a L/R set if you have two Left or Right lenses, rather than L/R donor set... or would that cause issues?

Considering that the left/right lenses are originally cut from identical blank pucks, it shouldn’t matter as long as it has a uniform BC and is not a toric lens

I was always told that oakley cut lenses from matched blanks so when you replaced one lens you should replace both and not mix up sets. Looking back that’s probably all bullshit to get us to spend more money lol I would assume like @hondazcrxsi said that as long as they’re uniform in the BC it should be ok.

The correct answer though is I have no idea.

I was always told that oakley cut lenses from matched blanks so when you replaced one lens you should replace both and not mix up sets. Looking back that’s probably all bullshit to get us to spend more money lol I would assume like @hondazcrxsi said that as long as they’re uniform in the BC it should be ok.

The correct answer though is I have no idea.

I find that funny too. How exactly did they “match” the blanks when they’re all individually made the same. I think it was a load of BS as well. Maybe they were referring to polarized sets? That seems like a stretch too but who knows.

I find that funny too. How exactly did they “match” the blanks when they’re all individually made the same. I think it was a load of BS as well. Maybe they were referring to polarized sets? That seems like a stretch too but who knows.
I know it's extremely important to Oakley on Polarized lenses especially since the axis for oakley is perfect within I believe 0.1° or less. Due to the way they process lenses they are injected and coated at the same time. So perfect polarization and perfect matching Iridium. We've all seen variation in color, that's the biggest issue with doing only one lens at a time. I used to think this only mattered on shield/mask style like radar, m, then I saw a video and even the 8.75 blanks are manufactured in pairs.
You won't do any damage to your eyes to replace just one lens. But Oakley is machined and set up for perfection (in most cases) when everything goes right.

Ps, I've used two right lenses to make square wire 2.0 lenses without any issue. A lens upside down has the same optics as right side up as long as you use it for the other eye. You don't want to put a right lens upside down in the right side.... That'll give u a headache and eyestrain. But a right lens flipped and on the left side is true optically speaking.

Happy Monday all! @"TRUMP" @SiRacer420 and @hondazcrxsi stay out of trouble lol!

Back