• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

Hi yall,
can someone tell me some Lenses that are compatible as Donor Lenses for:
- Square Wire 2.0
- Square Wire gen.1
- Wiretap
So far I know Fives are comp. Right?
I sure hope there is more variety and I can purchase from For Sale Lists posted here.
Is there a rule of thumb I can apply if I see a set of OEM Lenses for sale I like?
Almost no seller gives information to the Base Curve because he does not now.
Is the correct Base Curve all I need to pay attention to?
Sure, the donor has to be lagere than the lens to cut. But what else is important other than the Base Cure? Or is that it?
The Guide Cutting lenses by hand I have read and am very impressed and intrigued by to try it my self. All the Tools and basic know-how how to use them I have.
But not the know-how to choose the correct Lens.
Please help.

Gauge 8 should be big enough, straightlink should also be large enough, and plaintiff Squared for sure.

Good luck. I don't know about cutting by hand but the resources are out there!

Great Info as always!!!!

So they are all 8,75 BC?
Feel free to add more lenses that are large enough.
- Gauge 8
- Straightlink
- Plaintiff Squared
- Fives Squared

Hi yall,
can someone tell me some Lenses that are compatible as Donor Lenses for:
- Square Wire 2.0
- Square Wire gen.1
- Wiretap
So far I know Fives are comp. Right?
I sure hope there is more variety and I can purchase from For Sale Lists posted here.
Is there a rule of thumb I can apply if I see a set of OEM Lenses for sale I like?
Almost no seller gives information to the Base Curve because he does not now.
Is the correct Base Curve all I need to pay attention to?
Sure, the donor has to be lagere than the lens to cut. But what else is important other than the Base Cure? Or is that it?
The Guide Cutting lenses by hand I have read and am very impressed and intrigued by to try it my self. All the Tools and basic know-how how to use them I have.
But not the know-how to choose the correct Lens.
Please help.
If you cannot find certain information about a lense in either of these threads, you may try googling "Oakley _____________ lens base curve" the blank section you'd put in the model name, for example; Oakley Five Squared Lens Base Curve

You should be able to find some confirmed donor on this list cacatman's created pertaining to donor lenses

He's also made a list with various lenses dimensions which you can use for reference, as most people selling lenses may not know off the top of their heads...

I can't provide you any concrete answers to what works specifically for SQ Wires, but there's plenty of info posted in the forums that can be found.
You might even try searching in the classified section for custom cut Square Wire listings even if the pairs had sold, its possible the individual might have mentioned what they used as the donor lens.
Here's a post with more helpful threads for good information if you're having a hard time finding info from search window...

I am updating my list and your Info will help.
Thanks so much.
The Donor Lenses in my case has to be at least 55x32mm.

Feel free to add more lenses that are large enough.
- Gauge 8 medium a. large (B.C. 8.75)
- Straightlink (B.C. 8.75)
- Plaintiff Squared (B.C. 8,75)
- Fives Squared (B.C. 7,5)
- Conductor 8 (B.C. 8)
- Square Wire New (B.C. 8.75)
- Flak 2.0 XL (B.C 8.75)
- Fast Jacket (B.C. 8,5)
- Field Jacket (B.C. 8,75)
- Given (B.C. 8,75)
- Half Jacket 2.0 XL (B.C. 8,75)

Last edited: