• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting Lenses for X-Metal

xmetal40

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
USA
@SiRacer420 @zwc0442 @cacatman

Just wanted to discuss the current situation with chopping lenses. I am well aware there are other threads about this topic overall, but I am really interested in X-Metal cuts. Feel free to add whatever you might want to discuss. Hopefully Oakley comes up with a few more frames that include 8.75 base curve.

Machine Cut Lens options:

From newer frames, best donor lenses:
Gauge 8L and Straightlink. Both are 8.75 base curve just like all original X-Metal lenses. Gauge 8L is big enough for Romeo, which is obviously a popular Frame. Thus, it's big enough for X Metal XX, X-Squared, Juliet, and Penny, which all possess smaller orbitals than Romeo.

Mars: This is the frame that's quite frustrating. Unless @Chris A Hardaway states otherwise, no current Oakley lens provides the right base curve and size to be machine cut.

Romeo 2: Same as Mars.

Hand Cut Lenses: try this link if you are willing to do it: Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

I am looking into this further, but know Mars lenses can be hand cut from Gauge 8L. because SiRacer420 cuts some of his own lenses, Mars included. He would be an excellent resource for hand cutting tips (link above). Probably needs to be non-polar lenses, as it is the same with Romeo 2 (see below).

Romeo 2: Half Jacket 2 XL can be hand cut. @zwc0442 has done it for me twice. Those lenses must be non-polar because the lens must be tilted when cut, and that distorts polarization. At least Romeo 2 will continue to be provided with an option for a little while longer.

Rule to live by: if it is any form of a shield lens (Radar, Zero, Radarlock, etc.) it's not the proper base curve.

I’m a hand cutter and look forward to talking more about it!

Flak 2.0 XL non polar can be cut for penny and Juliet.
Partial etching may be left behind.
I’ve done that myself. It’s a good option.

Flak
Flak 2
Hj2

For chopping, those are the other three current lenses to get. Flak 2 is pretty narrow though. Penny probably works. Not sure about Juliet. XX - no.