• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting Lenses - What Works

Not how to cut but what works as donors.
Thank you I did not read the title that way. I did see the donor guide which is helpful.

I've searched the forum to see if there is a tips/tricks/how to section but could not find it.

Does everyone who cuts have access to the equipment like Chris?

Thank you I did not read the title that way. I did see the donor guide which is helpful.

I've searched the forum to see if there is a tips/tricks/how to section but could not find it.

I’ve read that some members are proficient to a point where they use a dreamt style device. I’m not expert but I’m pretty sure using dedicated equipment is preferred and more precise. There is a few threads where members attempted and had success. They even described the type of device ans other tools. Just remember this.... once you cut you can’t cut back!!!!!! :acute:

This is what i use if i want to cut lenses self.
Use masking tape on both sides of the new lens, place one of the old lenses on top and mark the edges with a thin pen.
I use the Dremel until there is little edge left and goes over to grinding machine.
Finally, grind the edge by hand with wet grinding paper.
If you want to try this, I recommend that you practice with defective lenses few times first!

iqgen4.jpg

Yeah XMM used to do demos on periscope but AFAIK nobody's posted a detailed guide on how to manually cut.

But manual cutters tend to use the process Serhat described. Just don't try to manually cut polarized lenses because you'll most likely screw up the polarization orientation on at least one of them and turn them into trash.

Yeah XMM used to do demos on periscope but AFAIK nobody's posted a detailed guide on how to manually cut.

But manual cutters tend to use the process Serhat described. Just don't try to manually cut polarized lenses because you'll most likely screw up the polarization orientation on at least one of them and turn them into trash.

I think even a polarized lens can be done pretty safely just by eyeballing the horizontal line. Even if it’s a bit off can our eyes really detect the difference?

Even if it’s a bit off can our eyes really detect the difference?

Yes. Oakley specifically cuts both lenses from the same blank to ensure the polarization orientation on both is identical. When they aren't you get increasing levels of that "rainbow effect" and other uncomfortable disorientation effects. And I speak from practice, not just theory.

I can’t see how it’s not possible to align the new lenses over the old while keeping the lenses symmetrical to each other.

Latest Posts

Back