• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cycling Helmets

KL117

Oakley Beginner
I was informed that cycling helmets are to be coming out sometime this year. Perhaps in the third and fourth quarters of the 2017 year, but does anyone know more information about this? They were at RA this year.

I was informed that cycling helmets are to be coming out sometime this year. Perhaps in the third and fourth quarters of the 2017 year, but does anyone know more information about this? They were at RA this year.
Interbike starts September 20th in Vegas, and Eurobike is August 30th so if they were to confirm this happening soon it would be at one or both of these events.

I wonder what differentiating tech will they bring. It's already a crowded arena with good and established players.

As long as the helmets are comparable to what is on the market you will get purple to buy it just because of the name. But yes, you will need innovation to get people who are die hard other brands to switch.

Maybe. They will still be ab unproven quantity so to speak.
Remember that for almost 30 years the same major players have been dominating the helmet market (Giro,Bell and Specialized). Others such as Catlike and Kask have made inroads but they still remain minor players.

But Oakley has a larger base than those companies. Plus they already offer cycling products. I am not saying Oakley will be number one, or even number five. I am saying they will be okay if they decide to join the game.

Yeah but in a different category (in other words not helmets).

I hope they come out with cool stuff though. Some integration with their glasses (as to how they fit when put on the vents during long climbs will work as well)

Speaking of larger base, remember Nike ventured into cycling shoes...TWICE (late 80s and early 2000s) and failed. Even though they had the Lance Armstrong shoe (the Hautacam) at the peak oh his fame (ahem,infamy...but I digress). I had a pair of Hautacams (they were OEMd by DMT if I remember correctly) and they were middle of the road at best. There are still a couple of pros sporting "Nike" cycling shoes but those are one offs purely for sponsorship reasons.

Back