• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cycling Helmets

Yep. Like I said.. twice they tried. Back in 88 and 89 or so their shoe was used by the 7-11 team. Cool shoe for the era but availability was quite limited and it fizzled out.
View attachment 355736

Then in early 2000s again they came out during their partnership with Lance. Below are the Poggio,the Hautacam and the one they called the "Lance" shoe.
View attachment 355737

View attachment 355738

View attachment 355740
I had a pair. They were super heavy and not as comfortable as some of the other brands like sidi etc.

Cycledoug,
I completely agree with you re. the helmets, because there is no objective reason to pay that much for the same very cheap foam coated with cheap ABS with kinda the same straps and pads. Protection is pretty much the same for $80 and $500, so we are talking about looking cool (may be feeling a little cooler) and having the favorite logo. The integrated shield is a different story. Thicker foam will protect you better - which should be evident, but most users want a small and an "elegant" helmet...

I like the Sport RX guy, but man, these 3 and 5 are allmost embarrassing. Not a single note of criticizm. For what it's worth, I'll repeat my personal first impressions:
  • The design is nothing special by "old Oakley standards". Not one O-shaped air port in sight...
  • Apart from that: Aro 3 looks quite lame. Aro 5 looks okay, and quite nice in comparison to A Specialized Evade, which is ugly imho.
  • The mips system is pretty basic. Standard MIPS inlay, no integration in the retention system as you find on the high end Bell/Giro models.
  • The fit is good for me. 55 cm head, size M.
  • Retention system works well. MIPS helmets can feel quite wobbly or high up on the head, but this one felt okay. If you adjust the retention system and the buckle, it feel secure on your head.

Last edited:
I gotta say, Oakley's been good at not trying to hype these. I can understand that they can expect sunglasses to sell themselves, but aside from making sense of $500 for the 7, and 5 and 3 are expensive for what they are.

I am wondering what that purple lens is in the Aro 3 video. It lacks the green fade that you get with Violet Iridium, but it's too strong for Prizm Golf and Trail. Looks like a similar lens to what Cav was wearing with the Jawbreaker prototype.

Back