• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cyclops' Penny

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
So I was browsing for some Penny's and I saw an actual set of Cyclops' Penny's on eBay. I noticed that they have some weird plates that wrap around the sides, can anyone explain why?

DSC04292.JPG

DSC04289.JPG

DSC04288.JPG

DSC04293.JPG

DSC04295.JPG

DSC04291.JPG

Are the plates what make these things so valuable/rare or is it just part of the costume piece?

Attachments

• DSC04292.JPG
    DSC04292.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 6,775
  • DSC04289.JPG
    DSC04289.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 14,703
  • DSC04288.JPG
    DSC04288.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 16,092
  • DSC04293.JPG
    DSC04293.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 6,114
  • DSC04295.JPG
    DSC04295.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,943
  • DSC04291.JPG
    DSC04291.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 4,128
  • DSC04292.JPG
    DSC04292.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 3,419
  • DSC04289.JPG
    DSC04289.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • DSC04288.JPG
    DSC04288.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSC04293.JPG
    DSC04293.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSC04295.JPG
    DSC04295.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,103
  • DSC04291.JPG
    DSC04291.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 903
So apparently after some research, these are called "side blinders." I guess it helps keep light coming in from the sides? Did Oakley ever officially make these?

It's a part of the costume piece. Just bits of foam IIRC. The story behind it is that they are there so the energy from Cyclops' eye blasts don't leak out from the sides of the glasses when he doesn't have his visor on. Think of those eyeblinders as a sort of containment piece in the XMen universe. It makes a perfectly good pair of Pennys/Juliets look f'ing stupid in my opinon though.

And no, I don't believe this was an official Oakley thing. You can find dozens of YouTube vids on how to make them.

It makes a perfectly good pair of Pennys/Juliets look f'ing stupid in my opinon though

ROFL.

Yeah...I'm getting increasing numbers off odd stares with every passing year that I wear X Metals and these wouldn't help. Not sure why...must be because my glasses don't look like cheap *** truck stop suglasses that everyone else has.

You know, when I was researching the Juliets before I bought mine I asked my wife to Google Image them. One of the first images that came up was a screencap of the first X-Men movie and it had Cyclops wearing his Juliets with the side blinders on (He wore the Pennys for 2 and 3). She looked at me and told me in no uncertain terms was I going to spend money on a pair of sunglasses that looked like they came from a costume shop. I showed her other pictures of Juliets that didn't have that crap on them and she was better about it.

And I do get looks when I wear mine. Not sure if it's because of the Ice Blue lenses or the fact that they look like real sunglasses and not the D&G type bitch shades that guys seem to be favoring nowadays.

And I do get looks when I wear mine. Not sure if it's because of the Ice Blue lenses or the fact that they look like real sunglasses and not the D&G type bitch shades that guys seem to be favoring nowadays.

THAT'S IT!!!!!! I'm trying to think...Titanium Juliets with Ice and all blue rubber, X Metal Juliets with Emerald and all green rubber, Polished Juliets with Fire, Straight Jacket Chrome White and +Red, XX 24K, Tron Pit Boss.....hmmm...people must think I WANT attention. Most subdued pair I have is my Polished Titanium Iridium Romeo 2's and those make enough of an impact with presence.

I actually kind of like them like that, gives a bit more coverage and adds some attitude. Some sellers on eBay were selling the attachable pieces made out of metal, so they aren't just foam.

Eh, to each their own. To me they add unnecessary lines to the design and make them look like really weird swimming goggles. If I ever had those as an authenticated movie prop, they probably would spend their life on display. I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to wear them.

Whatever you do, don't buy them from the guy on Ebay that sells the ruby penny lenses for $500.00 OBO..... I believe his ebay screen name is rougetraderx. He also sells the side blinders for around $150.00 or something like that. It cuts out your peripheral vision completely, and I wouldn't suggest driving with them. But if you have too... I have seen them sell for around $60.00 on the Ebay

Back