• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cyclops X-Metal/Titanium Penny

...and what about the lenses? Did Oakley ever make ruby quartz? Did the lenses Oakley ever make true true red? I'm not talking about the red with purple, or orange or pink. Pure true red with no other colors.

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get them out of the way.
IIRC those ruby quartz lenses used at least in the first movie were custom made. I can't remember the name of who made them but they were infamous for giving the actor a horrible headache whenever he wore the glasses. Definitely not made by Oakley at least for that first movie.
Edit: I stand corrected, the lenses were made by Oakley. Thanks Oakley G for the info!

Last edited:
The lenses were Oakley made. If memory serves on the process a lens was dyed in red 4 times and a back side iridium coating was added so the red is more pronounced in front,plus a slight anti reflective coating in the front. Going off of memory since it has been a while since I talked to the guy at Oakley who made them.

The lenses were Oakley made. If memory serves on the process a lens was dyed in red 4 times and a back side iridium coating was added so the red is more pronounced in front,plus a slight anti reflective coating in the front. Going off of memory since it has been a while since I talked to the guy at Oakley who made them.
I stand corrected! Where the heck did I get the other in my head then. Oh well, lol.

I would love someone to direct me to a good formula to give to an optician for a dark ruby lens (looking at you Funky-Trixster). I've seen that a guy named Philip Barber got some good lenses made and a guy on here called Rusty85 got a good pair made as well.

Any suggestions on lens types that are more suitable? Torch, positive red, prizm ruby?

I did a Google search and there is an optical forum where somebody discusses having a pair made. It involved dye like Oakley G just stated. I would personally go with that Torch lens, looks great and won't give you a migraine, lol.

However, Torch aren't that thick a coating nor, I'm affraid to say are the Prizm outfield ones. You can see a persons eyes at a certain angle.

The old school ruby is beautiful. It is so far beyond me why Oakley won't just make that consistently...

Financially NOT viable. I fully understand your frustrations, but even if they did make another batch, there's still NO guarantee as to the quantites that would be sellable, nor the final hue.

Last edited: