• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cyclops X-Metal/Titanium Penny

Bredon8

Oakley Beginner
I know this revives a topic talked about over and over again but I wanted to bounce it off of the enthusiasts. I got a pair of 1st run Ruby Juliets when the first movie came out and got a pair of Titanium Pennys after the second one. I always thought he actually wore Titaniums because that's what it looked like. See here:
c1c439b4a19b7fc83274c0453f7366f1--tv-stream-xmen.jpg

x2_cyclops2.jpg

f671a492eb36c1e429431435e36d8495--x-men-singer.jpg

Those frames are too light to be X-Metal.
It does looks like he is wearing XMetal in the first scene however:
27088-26018.gif

But after that, it looks like Titanium. Additionally, the third movie is definitely X-Metal throughout.

Any thoughts? I bought the Titanium frames back in the day as a collectible (currently back in the market for a Ruby/Dark red lenses). I think the Titanium with Ruby lenses are the better collectible based on this although I know eBay and a lot of people on here might disagree.

Attachments

• c1c439b4a19b7fc83274c0453f7366f1--tv-stream-xmen.jpg
    c1c439b4a19b7fc83274c0453f7366f1--tv-stream-xmen.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 4,865
  • x2_cyclops2.jpg
    x2_cyclops2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,687
  • f671a492eb36c1e429431435e36d8495--x-men-singer.jpg
    f671a492eb36c1e429431435e36d8495--x-men-singer.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 10,095
  • 27088-26018.gif
    27088-26018.gif
    52.2 KB · Views: 3,925
The word is the actual finish was done by the studios prop department. So it is neither Oakley's titanium or X-metal finish. From one of the guys on the o review and from pictures posted on Oakley.com when Days of future past was released, the pairs submitted to the studio were of this finish. No one knows why Oakley submitted that color or why the prop department changed it.

IMG_2410.JPG

The word is the actual finish was done by the studios prop department. So it is neither Oakley's titanium or X-metal finish. From one of the guys on the o review and from pictures posted on Oakley.com when Days of future past was released, the pairs submitted to the studio were of this finish. No one knows why Oakley submitted that color or why the prop department changed it.

View attachment 368065

That looks like a copper finish. I'm pretty sure he didn't use the copper pennys in the film. Unless it was a deleted scene or something.

My vote is titanium. The titanium finish can vary from being light like plasma and darker like x metal. I have to frames that are originally titanium since and one has tarnished/worn a different shade than the other one.

That looks like a copper finish. I'm pretty sure he didn't use the copper pennys in the film. Unless it was a deleted scene or something.

Like I said 'No one knows why Oakley submitted that color or why the prop department changed it.' The picture I posted was the exact picture Oakley posted on Oakley.com in 2014 prior to the DOFP movie.

You know, I saw that posting and those pics of the Pennys but when you look at the movie they don't appear to be that finish either. Again it's way too dark. This is a pic of what was claimed was in X-Men 3:
oakley-penny-x-men-last-stand.jpg

But that is way too light for X-Men 3 but look like what was used in X2 and look a lot like Titanium. Here are pics from XMen 3 which looked very much like an X-Metal finish:
x-men-cyclops-james-marsden.jpg

cyclops3.jpg

I think that whoever released that promo from Oakley may have mislabeled which glasses went with which movie.

cyclops3.jpg

There is another pair in the Oakley museum at HQ from X3 as well. It is polished silver and a foldable version the the scene with Jean and Wolverine. Oakley probably did a bunch of different color tests and let the prop department figure out the end product they wanted for their movie.

You know, I saw that posting and those pics of the Pennys but when you look at the movie they don't appear to be that finish either. Again it's way too dark. This is a pic of what was claimed was in X-Men 3:

But that is way too light for X-Men 3 but look like what was used in X2 and look a lot like Titanium. Here are pics from XMen 3 which looked very much like an X-Metal finish:

cyclops3.jpg

I think that whoever released that promo from Oakley may have mislabeled which glasses went with which movie.

Obviously the pics are way different than what was used in the movie. The poster/pictures released didn't state what finish/lenses were used in the pictures/movie, but the pictures are accurate to the movies: Juliet/Penny/Penny/radarlock... right?

Attachments

• oakley-penny-x-men-last-stand.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 756
  • x-men-cyclops-james-marsden.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 583
  • cyclops3.jpg
    cyclops3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 538
Obviously the pics are way different than what was used in the movie. The poster/pictures released didn't state what finish/lenses were used in the pictures/movie, but the pictures are accurate to the movies: Juliet/Penny/Penny/radarlock... right?

Correct.

Last edited by a moderator: