• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Darker lenses similar to Prizm Trail?

Thing is, I'm satisfied with Prizm Trail for my mountainbiking. Even when it's sunny, since most of the riding is under trees anyway.
I could have been clearer, but I want something with similar color profile, but for casual use. And for that, I want/need a darker lens, preferably with iridium (which isn't gonna be easy to find though). :cool-20:

While I understand what you mean, the word "push" is a bit misleading. The lenses can only "pull" certain colors, and if browns look brighter through a lens than without the lens, it must "pull" other colors more so that brown stands out. In the case of Prizm Trail it seems like some wavelengths that overlap reddish and greenish stuff in nature are pulled. This makes you able to distinguish different types of ground that normally look roughly the same, like grass and soil.

Now, I don't really need these properties for everyday use. I'm more after the warm, cozy look I get through the Trail lens. It makes me feel good! So, I suppose a lens with similar base tint but a bit different purpose will do fine. Such as Prizm Golf or Prizm Field. The latter is probably significantly darker and has at least a subtle iridium coating.

I haven't tried shallow water but I wonder if it isn't more like Tungsten; more brown (yellow) than persimon/pink? I do like Tungsten, but I'd prefer something with more red and less yellow. I think.

I understand the push / pull misleading technical idea. I should have used another term like enhance or filter. Prizm lenses filter specific lightwaves, so the wanted colors are let through by the lens.

I haven’t got Prizm Tungsten but it seems like Tungsten makes almost everything more brown-ish. See the video below that I’ve found

I haven’t got Prizm Tungsten but it seems like Tungsten makes almost everything more brown-ish. See the video below that I’ve found

I find Prizm tungsten gives everything a golden hue. Similar to late in the afternoon when the sun is approaching the horizon - what photographers call the golden hour.

I really really love my Prizm tungsten.

I find Prizm tungsten gives everything a golden hue. Similar to late in the afternoon when the sun is approaching the horizon - what photographers call the golden hour.

I really really love my Prizm tungsten.

Thanks for making clear that Tungsten isn’t looking brown but more like gold. Do you also have Prizm Shallow Water to compare Prizm Tungsten with?

Thanks for making clear that Tungsten isn’t looking brown but more like gold. Do you also have Prizm Shallow Water to compare Prizm Tungsten with?

Sorry no, I need Rx lens and Rx PSW isn’t a thing. If I’m at a shop soon I’ll look for PSW & see if I can make a judgement.

I understand the push / pull misleading technical idea. I should have used another term like enhance or filter. Prizm lenses filter specific lightwaves, so the wanted colors are let through by the lens.

To my eyes Tungsten (Prizm) is very close to neutral. Just a tad warm. I don't perceive them as "brown" or "gold".
It's not impossible that this differs from one person to another. I tried to make a comparison between Tungsten and Sapphire, and the photos didn't turn out at all like what my eyes see through the lenses. :oops: This is with the exact same white balance, but corrected for exposure:

No lens:

Prizm Sapphire:

Prizm Tungsten:

Sapphire looks "warm" in the photo, but "cold" to my eyes. Very, very strange.
The color pop is there though, with very nice separation between reds and greens, while the Prizm technology isn't as obvious in the Tungsten lens.

Edit: I'm also noticing that Tungsten copes better with glare, which was unexpected with no Iridium coating. Perhaps it's more about the wavelengths of the glare that is cut by the tint, rather than the Iridium. Tungsten has 14% VLT but is easier on the eyes than the 12% VLT of the Sapphire, when using them in bright sunlight. So, numbers don't tell the whole story.

Just found this video with lots of Prizm lenses compared

Yeah, I've watched it a couple of times. Not sure if it says very much though, since some of the examples seem affected by camera auto white balance.

-----------

I just ordered Prizm Dark Golf lenses for my Crossrange frame, since they were ~half the price for the moment. :cool-20:
Tomorrow I will also receive a pair of Frogskins with Prizm Black Polarized. Interesting to see how they compare to Sapphire.

Last edited:
To my eyes Tungsten (Prizm) is very close to neutral. Just a tad warm. I don't perceive them as "brown" or "gold".

Sapphire looks "warm" in the photo, but "cold" to my eyes. Very, very strange.

Edit: I'm also noticing that Tungsten copes better with glare, which was unexpected with no Iridium coating. Perhaps it's more about the wavelengths of the glare that is cut by the tint, rather than the Iridium. Tungsten has 14% VLT but is easier on the eyes than the 12% VLT of the Sapphire, when using them in bright sunlight. So, numbers don't tell the whole story.

VLT% is not nearly as useful a number as many think it is. It's possible to have any VLT in any tint, but the light transmission profile (LTx) is what actually determines the user experience.

Tungsten is the Iridium version of Bronze. It copes well with glare because of the Iridium coating, and the brown base lens has that yellow component to it. This is a common advantage of brown lenses over grey ones.

Prizm tends to standardize the FOV of the neutral base Iridium lenses. Sapphire without Prizm has a far more yellowy-green tint, and Prizm makes it rosy instead.

With Tungsten the lens itself is brown, so the LTx is already different, with a larger yellow component. The Iridium coating does not have the same relationship with the lens itself.

Back