• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Darker lenses similar to Prizm Trail?

Then you don’t have Prizm black lenses. That’s it’s. The difference in lenses has been a subject of discussion worth Oakley for decades. But mostly is affected by the iridium coating and not the base. Prizm has very little iridium compared to legacy and lens blanks with standard Prizm are made thousands at a time so It’s not common with Prizm base.

Prizm black on Left
Black Iridium on right

Very clearly rosey on the left
5e9d307d86038839786059b299e0722c.jpg

It says "Prizm P" on the lens and there is no other lens than PBP that it could be. If it isn't fake, from a trusted store.

Easy does err.
My apologies for explaining in detail.

Well, nothing wrong with trying to explain, but are your Prizm Black polarized? I read your thread about different base curve and the polarized lenses are obviously quite different. Polarization does affect tint too, so that might explain why they don't look the same. I'm a camera geek and if I check my polarization filters, they all look different. Most of them are "warm" and if Oakley used such a film on their P lenses, they might as well have chosen a different tint than standard to make them appear more neutral. Or, it's a "cold" P filter and the same tint as standard PB. That would make perfect sense.

-----------

Now, for the Prizm Dark Golf. I've tried them at a few occasions and I like them a lot! They are not as nice as Trail, but more allround with less obvious color distortion of whatever environment you are in. Interestingly, they seem to suppress (yellowish) greens, and that makes grass appear with high contrast and lots of nuances (since it's not only green). Reds pop a lot and they work very good for mountainbiking, except they are a tiny bit too dark when it's overcast and/or in heavy shadow.
I only wish they had a stronger Iridium, so that you couldn't see straight through them from the outside. More or less perfect in all other respects, and exactly what I was looking for. :cool-20:

Well, nothing wrong with trying to explain, but are your Prizm Black polarized? I read your thread about different base curve and the polarized lenses are obviously quite different. Polarization does affect tint too, so that might explain why they don't look the same. I'm a camera geek and if I check my polarization filters, they all look different. Most of them are "warm" and if Oakley used such a film on their P lenses, they might as well have chosen a different tint than standard to make them appear more neutral. Or, it's a "cold" P filter and the same tint as standard PB. That would make perfect sense.

-----------

Now, for the Prizm Dark Golf. I've tried them at a few occasions and I like them a lot! They are not as nice as Trail, but more allround with less obvious color distortion of whatever environment you are in. Interestingly, they seem to suppress (yellowish) greens, and that makes grass appear with high contrast and lots of nuances (since it's not only green). Reds pop a lot and they work very good for mountainbiking, except they are a tiny bit too dark when it's overcast and/or in heavy shadow.
I only wish they had a stronger Iridium, so that you couldn't see straight through them from the outside. More or less perfect in all other respects, and exactly what I was looking for. :cool-20:
That base curve thing has to do with how the filter physically lays and preforms better in a 3 dimensional field rather then on a flat plain. Oakley filters definitely effect tint and reduce VLT but not hue.

I was giving you crap about your eyes. Perceptions are often vastly dif that’s all I was eluding to.
Dark Golf is great for golf. They really shine when worn on the links. They don’t filter out greens. They accentuate the red and yellow hues in the color green so they essentially break down the green spectrum making different shades of green pop and improves contrast between the green, rough, fairway, and everything in between.
Of course they have other uses as you eluded to and environments differ.

That base curve thing has to do with how the filter physically lays and preforms better in a 3 dimensional field rather then on a flat plain. Oakley filters definitely effect tint and reduce VLT but not hue.

I was giving you crap about your eyes. Perceptions are often vastly dif that’s all I was eluding to.
Dark Golf is great for golf. They really shine when worn on the links. They don’t filter out greens. They accentuate the red and yellow hues in the color green so they essentially break down the green spectrum making different shades of green pop and improves contrast between the green, rough, fairway, and everything in between.
Of course they have other uses as you eluded to and environments differ.

They obviously make greens darker, which means they filter out greens. You can't "enhance" something without pulling something else. If anything, the greens pop less than with all other Prizm lenses I have, but you (at least I) can see more shades of green.

Rhymes has it right. Prizm generally absorbs or reflects cyan, and lets through a lot of magenta, and varying degrees of yellow. The result is more nuance to the colour green, as perceived. Dark Golf is based in a brown base, so it's darker and lets a bit more yellow through. Regular Golf in comparison is magenta/"rose" based and lets through more magenta and absorbs or reflects a bit more yellow, and they both absorb lots of cyan.

I'm not sure what the misunderstanding is here. Light is not a balancing act, you subtract spectra by means of absorption or reflection and the others are unaffected. Your perception of colour changes, the light does not. I do not even know what "pulling" a colour means. Prizm Dark Golf behaves as Rhymes described, and changes the way "green" is perceived, mostly by absorbing parts of the cyan wavelength to let the natural variation in reflected magentas and yellows become more apparent. Assuming uniform ambient light, greens will darken or lighten based on the amounts of magenta and yellow they already had, when cyan is partially removed.

Rhymes has it right. Prizm generally absorbs or reflects cyan, and lets through a lot of magenta, and varying degrees of yellow. The result is more nuance to the colour green, as perceived. Dark Golf is based in a brown base, so it's darker and lets a bit more yellow through. Regular Golf in comparison is magenta/"rose" based and lets through more magenta and absorbs or reflects a bit more yellow, and they both absorb lots of cyan.

I'm not sure what the misunderstanding is here. Light is not a balancing act, you subtract spectra by means of absorption or reflection and the others are unaffected. Your perception of colour changes, the light does not. I do not even know what "pulling" a colour means. Prizm Dark Golf behaves as Rhymes described, and changes the way "green" is perceived, mostly by absorbing parts of the cyan wavelength to let the natural variation in reflected magentas and yellows become more apparent. Assuming uniform ambient light, greens will darken or lighten based on the amounts of magenta and yellow they already had, when cyan is partially removed.

Nor am I. Greens appear darker with Prizm Dark Golf and I don't see how anything of the above contradicts that. I suppose cyan is a great part of the colors that we in daily language call "green", and that greens therefore darkens if cyan is lowered.

My native language is swedish and I don't always find the right words in english. Since some people here use the word "push", I used the opposite to describe what colors/wavelengths that are subtracted (reflected or filtered out) instead. Makes more sense and you probably understood what I meant.

Back