• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Darker lenses similar to Prizm Trail?

Well, nothing wrong with trying to explain, but are your Prizm Black polarized? I read your thread about different base curve and the polarized lenses are obviously quite different. Polarization does affect tint too, so that might explain why they don't look the same. I'm a camera geek and if I check my polarization filters, they all look different. Most of them are "warm" and if Oakley used such a film on their P lenses, they might as well have chosen a different tint than standard to make them appear more neutral. Or, it's a "cold" P filter and the same tint as standard PB. That would make perfect sense.

-----------

Now, for the Prizm Dark Golf. I've tried them at a few occasions and I like them a lot! They are not as nice as Trail, but more allround with less obvious color distortion of whatever environment you are in. Interestingly, they seem to suppress (yellowish) greens, and that makes grass appear with high contrast and lots of nuances (since it's not only green). Reds pop a lot and they work very good for mountainbiking, except they are a tiny bit too dark when it's overcast and/or in heavy shadow.
I only wish they had a stronger Iridium, so that you couldn't see straight through them from the outside. More or less perfect in all other respects, and exactly what I was looking for. :cool-20:
Have you looked at Prizm Trail Torch?

Sums it up. Don't know what "we" are arguing about.

Have you looked at Prizm Trail Torch?

Nope! I'm sure it's a nice lens, but probably a bit too close to regular Trail to have both.

Right now I'm pretty happy with what I have. 😊 But I'm still interested in something that is darker AND "warm" AND iridium. Don't know if that exists though. Possibly Prizm field.

Sums it up. Don't know what "we" are arguing about.

Nope! I'm sure it's a nice lens, but probably a bit too close to regular Trail to have both.

Right now I'm pretty happy with what I have. 😊 But I'm still interested in something that is darker AND "warm" AND iridium. Don't know if that exists though. Possibly Prizm field.
well, i am just surprised at the knowledge and intense talk about lenes....... carry on :cool:

speaking of trail torch........ don't see the appeal, it's just another red/rose lens right? really have nothing to do with the original trail lens?

trail torch = T22 / TR45 shooting lens?

https://www.oakleysi.com/en-us/product/W0OO9096OSI?variant=888392407290

well, i am just surprised at the knowledge and intense talk about lenes....... carry on :cool:

speaking of trail torch........ don't see the appeal, it's just another red/rose lens right? really have nothing to do with the original trail lens?

trail torch = T22 / TR45 shooting lens?

https://www.oakleysi.com/en-us/product/W0OO9096OSI?variant=888392407290

Not sure if sarcasm or not, but what the hey...

My knowledge is pretty limited, but I know what I like and what I don't like. Would be interesting to know why and how to get more of it. That's sort of the thought with this thread. 😁
My guess is that Trail torch is the same lens as Trail, but with a red iridium that makes it a tad darker and less red (more neutral since Trail is very red) for the user. And no, I haven't tried it, so I can be totally wrong.

The appeal with red/rose lenses to me is that they make the world look "warmer" and just nicer. Probably a personal thing, but it also makes me dislike Ruby and PBP. The view through them makes it look overcast when it's sunny. "Cold", blue, harsh. I want the opposite. 😏
However, even a rosy lens like Prizm Sapphire is kind of "cold" unless it's sunny. I suppose it doesn't let much yellow and orange through; more bluish reds.

My allround favourite this far is Prizm Tungsten. It's nice in any conditions actually. Slightly warm but still close to neutral (to my eyes at least), and with plenty of "pop". The only drawback is that you can see straight through them. I'll just have to accept that.

Trail torch........ don't see the appeal, it's just another red/rose lens right? really have nothing to do with the original trail lens?

It's just a toned down variant of Prizm Trail. The Iridium coating makes it better suited to conditions that are mixed with filtered and exposed light areas. Trail is not very good in direct sunlight, Trail Torch is better, but more for a mix. Prizm Road is better yet if you're just in exposed conditions. Oakley went overboard marketing all the various Prizm sport lenses as being specific to context. There is likely a lot of overlap between Prizm Field and Trail Torch and Prizm Cricket for example. The cycling sport lenses absolutely have overlap, Trail Torch is just the middle ground that's a good compromise under most conditions.

My guess is that Trail torch is the same lens as Trail, but with a red iridium that makes it a tad darker and less red (more neutral since Trail is very red) for the user.
That's correct. Torch is the poster child for why VLT% is of limited value compared to LTx. For a 1% difference in VLT, Torch reflects more magenta, but also lets a bit more yellow and cyan through. It is less extreme than Trail, providing less contrast, but more even LTx across the spectrum.

Prizm Trail is one of Oakley's most niche lenses because it causes so much contrast. It is one of the only lenses that I'd recommend against for casual wear or use outside of its marketed context. I believe the only other one that does more contrast than Trail is Prizm Sporting Clay, a shooting lens that's pretty much a pure magenta lens.

The appeal with red/rose lenses to me is that they make the world look "warmer" and just nicer...makes me dislike Ruby and PBP. The view through them makes it look overcast when it's sunny.

My allround favourite this far is Prizm Tungsten. It's nice in any conditions actually. Slightly warm but still close to neutral (to my eyes at least), and with plenty of "pop". The only drawback is that you can see straight through them. I'll just have to accept that.

I can't stand Ruby or Fire unless it is extremely bright out. Even then, I'll only wear it to make a point of trying out the lens. The same goes for Violet Iridium, unless it is very bright out, Violet is harsh. What frame are your Prizm Tungsten lenses in?

Prizm Trail is one of Oakley's most niche lenses because it causes so much contrast. It is one of the only lenses that I'd recommend against for casual wear or use outside of its marketed context. I believe the only other one that does more contrast than Trail is Prizm Sporting Clay, a shooting lens that's pretty much a pure magenta lens.

The only reason I don't wear them casually is because of the look from outside. I love the look through them, at least for overcast (not dark enough for full sun). It depends on the environment of course; I'm never in dark shadows behind tall buildings with bright sky or anything like that, but mostly semi-open areas that are "half urban, half nature". I have never felt them being too contrasty.

I agree that it doesn't really matter what a lens was designed for, as long as you like it.

I can't stand Ruby or Fire unless it is extremely bright out. Even then, I'll only wear it to make a point of trying out the lens. The same goes for Violet Iridium, unless it is very bright out, Violet is harsh. What frame are your Prizm Tungsten lenses in?

The Tungsten lenses are in a pair of Frogskins, and yes, I know those are sort of worst case since they are almost completely flat an let a lot of light in from behind. I can use them at any occasion though, thanks to the classic look (and they fit my head and face very well). I simply cannot wear a fully wrapped sports frame because of the looks.
OTOH, I have Prizm ruby lenses in an other pair of Frogskins, and most of the time you can't see anything through them from the outside. :cool-20: 😂

Crossrange is a nice compromise. Large lenses, great lens selection, good fit, but still looks good enough for casual wear. A little wrap too, but not much. I have Prizm Sapphire and Dark golf in those (same frame though).

Edit: Oh, and the Trail lenses are in Crossrange XL. I look horrible in them, but the view from inside is terrific when I ride my MTB, and that's all that counts. I've thought about getting them in a smaller frame, but they only seem to come in sports specific frames.

Not sure if sarcasm or not, but what the hey...

My knowledge is pretty limited, but I know what I like and what I don't like. Would be interesting to know why and how to get more of it. That's sort of the thought with this thread. 😁
My guess is that Trail torch is the same lens as Trail, but with a red iridium that makes it a tad darker and less red (more neutral since Trail is very red) for the user. And no, I haven't tried it, so I can be totally wrong.

The appeal with red/rose lenses to me is that they make the world look "warmer" and just nicer. Probably a personal thing, but it also makes me dislike Ruby and PBP. The view through them makes it look overcast when it's sunny. "Cold", blue, harsh. I want the opposite. 😏
However, even a rosy lens like Prizm Sapphire is kind of "cold" unless it's sunny. I suppose it doesn't let much yellow and orange through; more bluish reds.

no sarcasm ..... :cool:

The appeal with red/rose lenses to me is that they make the world look "warmer" and just nicer.

I feel like we’re both looking for the same lens. The warmth & reduction of blue light is very comfortable for me.

Same for me.

I had Prizm Black Polarized and had to send them back because of this. But regular Prizm Black I can get on with. Prizm Daily Polarized are still my favourite day to day lens. I like Dark Golf and Road Black, depending on sun brightness as well. Next purchase will probably be Trail Torch.

Latest Posts

Back