• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Dealing With Noob Employees At Stores...

Very few employees at O stores are collectors. Many of the people that work at the store are there for a paycheck not for their knowledge or love of the product, yes it would be ideal if every single employee was an O expert but the reality is most don't care and even more care less when collectors come in asking questions about the product.

Very few employees at O stores are collectors. Many of the people that work at the store are there for a paycheck not for their knowledge or love of the product, yes it would be ideal if every single employee was an O expert but the reality is most don't care and even more care less when collectors come in asking questions about the product.
+1

For most of us, I think it is more important to be 'gracious experts' when we visit stores - SGH and o-stores alike. Honestly, we probably visit way more often than anyone else, and probably don't buy something every visit. With that, I can see the liklihood of our visits becoming an annoyance to the staff working there. I usually try and guage the level of interest any given staff person has in discussing the brand. Some folks just want to show you what you might be interested in. Some folks are hyped up about finding a Frogskins or Razor Blade, and really enjoy the Oakley chatter. Either way I think it is on us, not them, to create a good experience. It can be a slippery slope to acting like a know-it-all and belittling the staff.

+1

For most of us, I think it is more important to be 'gracious experts' when we visit stores - SGH and o-stores alike. Honestly, we probably visit way more often than anyone else, and probably don't buy something every visit. With that, I can see the liklihood of our visits becoming an annoyance to the staff working there. I usually try and guage the level of interest any given staff person has in discussing the brand. Some folks just want to show you what you might be interested in. Some folks are hyped up about finding a Frogskins or Razor Blade, and really enjoy the Oakley chatter. Either way I think it is on us, not them, to create a good experience. It can be a slippery slope to acting like a know-it-all and belittling the staff.

Wearing something old school or unusual really helps with that. I've been into a store and told a chick I was looking for something like my Ten and she handed me a pair of Ten.

Same store I've gone in and had an hour conversation with one of the guys.

I agree. the last O store I went to they didn't know that there was an older version of the XX

:laugh:

You have to call them "Plastic XX"... Then they get it. I feel ya though its my favorite frame!

On another note... My local Vault is pretty good. They have a young kid Mark that knows his stuff... He was freaking out when I wore in a Telmex Eye Patch!
I was suprised he knew what they were since they weren't released in North America... :blink:

I've gotten the same experience talking to HQ. I was trying to find out about a tune-up for my x-metal xx's. I was trying to explain what I had to the girl on the phone and mentioned TiO2 (because they were) to help her and she said I was mistaken and didn't know what I had.

I found it really helps when you go in on a weekday when they arent busy, you can have a conversation and sometimes you get something. Most of the people that I have seen at O-stores really could care less they just want the pay check. It sort of bums me out since I am looking for a job as the school year winds down, and Oakley is number 1 on the list but they are never hiring retail staff.

I found it really helps when you go in on a weekday when they arent busy, you can have a conversation and sometimes you get something. Most of the people that I have seen at O-stores really could care less they just want the pay check. It sort of bums me out since I am looking for a job as the school year winds down, and Oakley is number 1 on the list but they are never hiring retail staff.

Same here dude, I wish I could work at an Oakley Store or Vault. I would be so stoked and I'd try to be the best employee ever by doing research on all the models to better help customers (and to further my personal knowledge). I am the biggest Oakley nut I know. :D

Latest Posts

Back