• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

deep cleaning hard yellow residue on neglected x-metals

DKO

Oakley Enthusiast
626, SGV, CA
I have two pairs of X-metal XX Ti02. And when I wore them in the early 2000's I didn't clean the rubber or frames. Now I have the very sticky residue on the rubbers which I will try the wash and boil method.
But my question is the frame. All that oil and sunscreen under the rubbers leaked out onto the arms and orbitals while in storage and dried as a hard yellow sticky residue. How do I get this off my X-metal without damaging the finish?

All the other threads were more about regular cleaning of X-Metal. This is almost a first time cleaning.

If you have removed all the rubber and lenses WD40 might be worth a try. Acetone is also good for old fatty residues, but be careful to not get any inside the nose bridge and clean with hot soapy water afterwards.

Has anyone ever tried a citrus based degreaser? This is used in labs to remove wax (Hemo-De) avoiding organic solvents. It is pretty characteristic as it smells of oranges. I would avoid getting it close to lenses though.

Back