• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Delamination and prizm lenses

Ninposam

Oakley Beginner
Just a quick question, I know older iridium lenses used to have the issue with delamination but some of the prizm lenses I see say they don't have iridium coating, so are they subject to delamination as well?

Also I know the main cause is from dirt and sweat breaking down the coating /bond but can scratches on the edge of the lens from repeated swaps in and out also be a cause?

I only ask because I swap out the lenses in my half jackets quite often and yesterday and as I removed my 24k and they had a little mark on the edge and this morning the coating has started to crack

Last edited:
Bump anyone ?

PXL_20220712_181520301.jpg

You’re welcome.

Personally I think those are doing okay, I did worse to my 1/2 Jackets over the years but still never had them actually delaminate, they just ended up like yours. Now I have so many damn Oakleys it’s not a problem anymore. 😂

The Prizm lens definitely has a delamination issue due to environmental containments such as sweat. I found this out the hard way with my Flak 2.0 with Prizm Trail lenses.

I use them for trail running, hiking, etc. and when I didn't wipe them down each time, I'd get some pretty severe pitting and delamination of the coating on the inside of the lens. Ironic, since they are sport-specific glasses, but I like Oakley enough and deal with it.

IMG_6230.jpeg

I can't believe you can't even sweat on them without incurring damage to them, that's crazy.

Yeah my Radars got scratched taking them out with the MicroBag. Putting them on your head with sweat isn't a good idea either. Looks like we both did the same thing.😓

My experience with delam is from sudden change in temperature. ambient temp was probably in the high 60s and i washed some old lenses in hot water, it wrinkled up immediately, so yeah a gradual change is fine but sudden like leaving in a car then bringing them into an airconditioned spot could possibly cause it too.

Latest Posts

Back