• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Did Deep Water Prizm Lenses Change at Some Point?

you will also get more blue on the edges of lenses with higher curve. holbrooks are really flat so you don't get a lot of the blue showing up. a lot of the iridium coatings look a bit different on holbrooks or flatter lenses.

I recently bought a couple sets of Holbrook DWPP lenses from eBay. When they arrived I noticed they were significantly less blue than other Deep Water lenses I own. Even the base color looks different. Here are some pics that don't quite do it justice, but the difference is still obvious- The polarized Holbrook lenses are on the bottom, non polarized Flak XL on top. There's a big difference. I have another set of polarized for the Flaks and they are identical to my existing blue tinted lenses. The mirror color on these ones I just got look closer to Chrome Iridium and the base color is rosier. The seller is very reputable. Any thoughts?

View attachment 667378

View attachment 667379
Different batch. Also known as different dye lot. Especially when you are talking about different models explains the color variance.
I've noticed many more or less blue mirrors. So I know exactly what you mean on some being heavier in chrome. The Iridium in this case changes the light transmission and therefore base color. I'd argue tint is the same and only looked different based on curvature and Iridium coating dye lots. Lastly all DWP is polarized. First generation of prizm was always etched prizm, even if polarized. Now it's differentiated. Polarized? Prizm P. Non polarized? Prizm. I hope that helps some.

Different batch. Also known as different dye lot. Especially when you are talking about different models explains the color variance.
I've noticed many more or less blue mirrors. So I know exactly what you mean on some being heavier in chrome. The Iridium in this case changes the light transmission and therefore base color. I'd argue tint is the same and only looked different based on curvature and Iridium coating dye lots. Lastly all DWP is polarized. First generation of prizm was always etched prizm, even if polarized. Now it's differentiated. Polarized? Prizm P. Non polarized? Prizm. I hope that helps some.
Pretty succinctly cleared everything up 👍. Excellent post!

Ahh, so the color of the iridium coating can affect the base color. I didn't think of that. It makes a lot of sense. It also makes sense that thousands of lenses made years apart will have some slight inconsistencies lol. Thanks for clearing that up. Science!

Back