• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

did i get jipped on these Romeo 1's?!?

[tabs]

Oakley Beginner
671 Guam
So I received these pair of Romeo 1's in the mail today from eBay for $500.00 plus shipping. Here's the condition its in...the frame has normal wear marks, lenses are exovista ruby with quarter inch crack on the top right lense, there's no top orbital gaskets, andthe hammerstems are loose...I tried tightening them with a t6 driver but its as tight as it goes, and the stems are still shakey. What u guys think?!?

There aren't too many Romeo 1 that go for much less than $500 in basically any condition. You can clean them up if they are x metal, and get new hardware with a little extra $$. But overall, you're probably in the ballpark for a Romeo in that condition.

ive gotten a pair of crater and leather mars with a microbag only...crater was $450.00, leather was $560.00, and both frames were like the seller's description said...like new, never worn! As oppose to these Romeo 1's, I feel the dude jipped me!

I don't usually see them go for much less. It sounds about right for the price. Complete like new condition Romeo 1's can get even higher than you paid. Clean them up and get some new parts to revive it and you won't regret it.

doowutchalike: thanks man, I ordered new orbital gaskets already (both top and bottom), as well as a new set of VL lenses. Do u think Oakley can tune up the hammerstems?!?

Oh yeah, the arms are loose due tithe plastic washers wearing down. You can take the arms of to see the plastic washers and try to replicate them. They're very thin plastic washers to provide a little friction.

Its all in what u Want...if u really had to have them $500 is ok, personally, $500 for a pair of poor conditionoaks is a ripoff, even if its a flores brown!

I've completely disassembled my X Squared, and i'm sure the ear stems are the same on the Romeo. It's been a while since i've owned a Romeo, but if my memory serves me correctly, it's the same ear stem design on all the x metals, except the Penny.

If you remove the T6 screw from the ear stem it will pull right off. Be very carefully though as the paper-thin plastic washers can fall out and be hard to find. There should be one on the top and one of the bottom of the ear stem when it is inserted/removed from the orbital. I know I have seen some tune up kits out there that include these plastic washers. In fact, I think a member/mod by the name of Oakleynerd is selling a couple of complete tune up kits for the Romeo 1 and I believe they included these washers. Good luck with the restoration!

I think it's a little steep seeing as you have to tune them up yourself. Be patient and look constantly, you'll get a pair in better condition for that price....