• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

did you go to college?

Skimming back through the thread and it's revival something struck me is different strokes for different folks.

Not everything works well for everyone- if there was some magical one thing or path that produced well balanced, successful, driven etc. individuals we'd all be doing it- there's not. So no matter how each of us got to where we are today, the path we chose worked for us. For some, it was the military; for some it was just working a trade with no "formal" education needed; for some it was entrepreneurship; and for some, it was a college degree or degrees. For me- and perhaps for others here- it was a hybrid a couple of these or perhaps even a few. I stumbled into my profession; as I noted in an earlier post in this thread, I probably would have accomplished just as much in it without my college education but three things are undeniable: having it actually does make me better at my job, it did increase my overall lifetime earning power and it did enrich my life in a multitude of positive ways.

So while the topic of the thread is an interesting one- if for no other reason that given 70% of Americans don't have a college degree so those that answered yes to this question insofar as having graduated would be in the minority- that in and of itself proves the "so many paths to a successful ending point" because a whole lot more than 30% of our population are accomplished in their own right.

Skimming back through the thread and it's revival something struck me is different strokes for different folks.

Not everything works well for everyone- if there was some magical one thing or path that produced well balanced, successful, driven etc. individuals we'd all be doing it- there's not. So no matter how each of us got to where we are today, the path we chose worked for us. For some, it was the military; for some it was just working a trade with no "formal" education needed; for some it was entrepreneurship; and for some, it was a college degree or degrees. For me- and perhaps for others here- it was a hybrid a couple of these or perhaps even a few. I stumbled into my profession; as I noted in an earlier post in this thread, I probably would have accomplished just as much in it without my college education but three things are undeniable: having it actually does make me better at my job, it did increase my overall lifetime earning power and it did enrich my life in a multitude of positive ways.

So while the topic of the thread is an interesting one- if for no other reason that given 70% of Americans don't have a college degree so those that answered yes to this question insofar as having graduated would be in the minority- that in and of itself proves the "so many paths to a successful ending point" because a whole lot more than 30% of our population are accomplished in their own right.
Agree with you bro

Back