• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Difference Bet. Plasma & Xmetal Frames

redhot

Oakley Beginner
how can u tell the difference between an oakley plasma & xmetal frames?

can u please help me identify if this is a xmetal or plasma frame? i had different opinions from friends.

1zpmwir.jpg

312u0i1.jpg

Just from the photo, this looks to be a Plasma frame. X-Metal finishes have a raw metal look with a slightly rough texture, and are a couple of shades darker than plasma. You can also tell for sure by serial #'s...look here: The Oakley Review - Wiki (Serial_List)

i don't have the box with me. this was given as a gift. i went to an oakley store and they told me it's xmetal. but a couple of friends told me otherwise, hence the confusion. i was told the original lens of this juliet was a ruby iridium. now it's an emerald iridium.

thanks for clearing that up guys! :)

i don't have the box with me. this was given as a gift. i went to an oakley store and they told me it's xmetal. but a couple of friends told me otherwise, hence the confusion. i was told the original lens of this juliet was a ruby iridium. now it's an emerald iridium.

thanks for clearing that up guys! :)

It's true it's an "X metal" frame. But it's color is plasma. In essence you have an X Metal Juliet in Plasma.....

hence his username... also, if they came with ruby, it was thru OCP as plasma was never issued with ruby, only fire, ice, titanium, violet, and emerald.

Or it could've been that the original owner had the stock emerald in it, swapped in ruby's and swapped back the emerald's before giving it away to him as a gift, LOL. Wait....you got this as a gift?!?!?! Nice score!

Here's how you may be able to tell for sure...look on the inside of the left ear stem, nearest to the hinge...is there an alphanumeric serial number (usually 8 digits long)? In your case, it may look like...JExxxxxx, this is for "J"uliet "E"merald and "xxxxxx" the numbered production copy. If it is JExxxxxx, then you know that this was an original plasma frame with emerald iridium lenses. If there isn't a serial number, then you have a frame that was issued after 2003, when they stop serializing frames...and it would make it more difficult to tell what lenses actually came stock in your frame (could possibly be a custom pair like hearno said).

Or it could've been that the original owner had the stock emerald in it, swapped in ruby's and swapped back the emerald's before giving it away to him as a gift, LOL. Wait....you got this as a gift?!?!?! Nice score!

Here's how you may be able to tell for sure...look on the inside of the left ear stem, nearest to the hinge...is there an alphanumeric serial number (usually 8 digits long)? In your case, it may look like...JExxxxxx, this is for "J"uliet "E"merald and "xxxxxx" the numbered production copy. If it is JExxxxxx, then you know that this was an original plasma frame with emerald iridium lenses. If there isn't a serial number, then you have a frame that was issued after 2003, when they stop serializing frames...and it would make it more difficult to tell what lenses actually came stock in your frame (could possibly be a custom pair like hearno said).

DAMN! Lets have a scotch and a cigar and talk for awhile brotha!!! I was thinking about it but to tired to type it....Thanks for the added info..... I must be slacking

DAMN! Lets have a scotch and a cigar and talk for awhile brotha!!! I was thinking about it but to tired to type it....Thanks for the added info..... I must be slacking

Back