• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Difference Between Transitions SOLFX And Photochromic?

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
On Oakley.com, some are listed as Transitions SOLFX while others are listed as Photochromic. Are they the same? If not, what's the difference?

They are not. Photochromic is the newer technology and can make a larger transition (Clear to fully black for instance) and will act more quickly.

The Transitions SOFLX are more limited in the difference between lightest and darkest and are made either under license or by the Transitions brand people.

They are not. Photochromic is the newer technology and can make a larger transition (Clear to fully black for instance) and will act more quickly.

The Transitions SOFLX are more limited in the difference between lightest and darkest and are made either under license or by the Transitions brand people.
Thanks for the info! So Photochromic is probably a better product to buy?

Depends on what you're using it for. They're both UV reactive, so they don't work well if you're in the car.

I believe the Photochromic is more expensive, but that's what's sold for the Radar and M Frame, while the Half/Flak/Fast use SOLFX still.

I'm also not sure all of what tints are available in each style.

Depends on what you're using it for. They're both UV reactive, so they don't work well if you're in the car.

I believe the Photochromic is more expensive, but that's what's sold for the Radar and M Frame, while the Half/Flak/Fast use SOLFX still.

I'm also not sure all of what tints are available in each style.
Hmmm. They don't work well in the car? That may hinder me from buying.

I've been toying with the idea of cutting a Clear Black Iridium Photochromic Vented Racing Jacket lenses or Vented VR50 Transitions Jawbone lenses for a XX.

Hmmm. They don't work well in the car? That may hinder me from buying.

I've been toying with the idea of cutting a Clear Black Iridium Photochromic Vented Racing Jacket lenses or Vented VR50 Transitions Jawbone lenses for a XX.

Roll down your window and you'll get a little effect. All your vehicle transparencies are UV-blocking, so these types of lenses do not work well.

So what happens to the lenses while inside the car? Are they just dark like a regular set of lenses?

They just stay at the lighter tint for the most part, since the UV will make it darker - so not great for driving, but I have the photochromics in a radar and I love them for almost anything else!

I believe that most photochromatic lenses have a shelf life also.
So after a while they just stop transitioning between light and dark?

They just stay at the lighter tint for the most part, since the UV will make it darker - so not great for driving, but I have the photochromics in a radar and I love them for almost anything else!
I tend to drive a lot while wearing my sunnies so I guess my next question would be what type of lens does it compare to in a car? Like a slate iridium?

Back