• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Different Finishes.....Different Fit?

They definitely feel larger, no question. How, I'm not too sure, so will have to take a closer look at them I think for a better look.
:)

The X Man has demonstrated to us that the orbital tabs on later frames is rounded and on earlier frames it is more squared. This made a lot of later frames looser from the jump- what we have come to refer to as "infinite hero" loose.
Your 2nd gen Ti comment does not beat this out though- these I doubt would have the rounded tabs.
X MAN?

that would apply to coupler based pairs not the r1's non coupler design tho...

Ok so it sounds like you share some of my same experiences (with the R1 at least). The 2nd Gen Ti-frame and to a lesser extent my Plasma R1 frame, they both seem a tad larger/wider than all of the X-metal and 1st Gen "bone" finish R1s I've ever owned.

When I look from a "bird's eye" view at my R1s, the "RAW" finish ear stems do not appear to open up as widely as the Plasma. I should probably post a pic for you guys :)

David

maybe try taking out the t shocks altogether? then measure the way the arms open?

the only fitting variances I've noticed have been attributed to nosebridge tightness
I have noticed this most with Juliets, not so much the R1s, but a couple of XX and an R2 too. I attribute it to a less than straight/proper/true setup from the factory. This seems to be especially true with OCP frames of certain finishes in my experience.

I just had an XX that I tuned up earlier tonight and it fit sooooo much better after the repair. It was not really broken, just loose, not from wear, but more from age. It was not falling apart and the nose was not that far off, but a little bit of play made a huge difference. I was wearing a 15 on one side and a 25 on the other before the service... after the service I have even t-shox installed, the same on both sides (either size). :D

Once upon a time I sold a few OCP Plasma Juliet frames off for this reason, they just would not fit - I swore the X-Metal finishes were a different fit, the best fit, but aside from a slight variance in the orbital tabs they were really all the same... if I knew then what I know now - it was probably just a not-so-great assembly at the factory, I could have evened them up and kept the minty frames - live and learn! ;)

maybe try taking out the t shocks altogether? then measure the way the arms open?
measuring the "open " earstems wont really prove anything....each pair of arms has its own bend from the previous owner.some are almost straight with a gap of 5" and some wide open with 25 shox are only an inch apart...(who are these small headed freaks).every pair is different.

measuring the "open " earstems wont really prove anything....each pair of arms has its own bend from the previous owner.some are almost straight with a gap of 5" and some wide open with 25 shox are only an inch apart...(who are these small headed freaks).every pair is different.
maybe an arm swap? but then again there could also be variance where the screw tap and hole were made... hmmmm

Back