• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Different Versions Of Flak Jacket XLJ Lenses

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
Los Angeles, CA
I can assure everyone there are no differences in the Flak Jacket lenses for Asian Fit vs. Regular Fit.

I only noticed this today as i bought a pair of black Flak Jackets to swap the orbital section with my USC Trojans Flak Jackets that were scratched.

While switching things around, i realized the lens sizes were different

Here's a pic of the new +Red lenses i got (top) vs. my old SC Trojans XLJ lenses that i got a few years ago (bottom - note the Trojan logo).

It's kinda hard to tell in the picture, but the newer lenses are about 1/8 in longer at the bottom and flare out a bit more at the outside edge. The tops are still the same and will fit all Flak frames.

I also have an older Text frame with +Red and you can kinda see the differences in curvature at the bottoms between them:

Interesting, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as I said in the other thread, that new corner on the Flak lens doesn't appeal to me. But then again, I use the regular lenses on mine and not the XLJ. :D

Yeah, as I said in the other thread, that new corner on the Flak lens doesn't appeal to me. But then again, I use the regular lenses on mine and not the XLJ. :D

It's just interesting that Oakley would change the shape on a whim like that. I would have never noticed had i not been swapping parts around. I've had my SC Trojan Flaks for years and i've had the White Text frame for a while too. Never realized it.

The original XLJ shape used to be large, then Oakley made the shape slightly smaller but for some reason they've changed to the original larger shape.

When the first half jackets were released I bought a pair. I had them for about 6 months before I lost them, when I purchased a new pair I noticed that the icon on the frame was totally different, and the ear stems were totally different. I wish I still had them. Oakley makes changes to their gear or what they call "improvements" to lenses and frames without letting us know. Same thing goes for the colors or Ruby lenses, or the pattern on a pair of glasses. It could also be due to an error in manufacturing similiar to what occured to the Titanium iridium lens that came in the black chrome half jacket frame. This lens would litterally fall out for no reason at all. It was found that the notch in the lens was too small and would not hook into the frame right.

Found a pix here check out the icon and the rubber on the ear stem....The icon is similiar to the thumbprint icon, and the rubber on the earstem cover the entire end...

http://www.o-review.com/glassesdetail.asp?ID=51

Interesting look on that Half Jacket. I think i like the newer look better. Would be neat to have a pair of those, though. Would make a very nice collectors piece.

Latest Posts

Back