• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For Sale Dillon Matte NIR lens

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Up

Some people reacted to this post.
Honestly, what's the bid deal with Dillon's? And yes, I'm uneducated about the X Metal world, but there seems to be a lot of people creaming their panties anytime anyone mentions the name. What makes them so desirable? What are their origins? Why can they no longer be found? Why do they command such a high price point (probably because they can't be found)?

Username Hidden said:
Honestly, what's the bid deal with Dillon's? And yes, I'm uneducated about the X Metal world, but there seems to be a lot of people creaming their panties anytime anyone mentions the name. What makes them so desirable? What are their origins? Why can they no longer be found? Why do they command such a high price point (probably because they can't be found)?
It's the fascination of the matte finish on the exterior. Some people say the quality is better too. I believe Dillon lenses are of a different material than Oakley lenses. They command a higher price than Oakley lenses because they have to be sourced which can be difficult and then they have to be custom cut.

Username Hidden said:
It's the fascination of the matte finish on the exterior. Some people say the quality is better too. I believe Dillon lenses are of a different material than Oakley lenses. They command a higher price than Oakley lenses because they have to be sourced which can be difficult and then they have to be custom cut.
Thank you for the explanation. Are they no longer made? Who made them (Dillon?)?

They are cool and unique
plus optical quality is great.
dillon make dillon lenses, they have a website

Username Hidden said:
Thank you for the explanation. Are they no longer made? Who made them (Dillon?)?
Yes they are made still

Username Hidden said:
They are cool and unique
plus optical quality is great.
dillon make dillon lenses, they have a website
Yes, I just Googled and found the site. This appears to be the same company that now exclusively makes the parts for the GAU2/C mini gun that the Air Force uses on their rescue helicopters (and perhaps other branches). Yes, GE initially made it, but I think Dillon now owns the rights to it.

Last edited:
Username Hidden said:
Yes they are made still
It appears that they don't just sell lenses, so you have to buy a pair of their glasses and then take the lenses. Is that what you mean by "sourced?"

Username Hidden said:
It appears that they don't just sell lenses, so you have to buy a pair of their glasses and then take the lenses. Is that what you mean by "sourced?"
Correct! Unfortunately their frames really s**ks IMO so you only buy for the lenses. Once you get a frame you can get new lenses from their warranty department.

Username Hidden said:
Correct! Unfortunately their frames really s**ks IMO so you only buy for the lenses. Once you get a frame you can get new lenses from their warranty department.
Interesting. I'm assuming it has to be the correct lens (as opposed to any that they make) in order to cut for R1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.