• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Diners Drive-Ins And Dives

I think part of what makes these places so appealing is the enthusiasm Guy shows when he does them. If you visited a place that hasn't been featured but is in the same class as what he puts on his show, would you be as impressed?

Makes you wonder how they find / select the places they feature.

i think a lot of it is fan submissions

For me, both in St. Louis, it's Shaved Duck and Iron Barley. A couple of my favorite places to eat. Started going to both before I knew they had been on the show, but it's not hard to see why when you go.

The show basically saved Iron Barley, as Tom tells the story. Their menu is unique and everything is good, but what really sets it apart are the specials of all varieties. It can sometimes take the wait staff 10 minutes to go over them all. Went there last week when my mom was in town. Dinner was awesome and took home some killer leftovers. Got rear ended and car totalled on the way home. Food was a total loss as well, so sad.

Started going to Shaved Duck before it appeared on the show, but it is awesome. Go on a weekend night and expect to wait, crammed like sardines in the tiny bar up front. Don't even think about going with a large party on weekend nights.

What is so awesome about both places is the food is incredibly well prepared and very unique. Combined with the fact that they are very unpretentious and the prices are reasonable and you get value that is tough to beat. Both places have outstanding beer lists too, if you are into that, and Iron Barley has its own barrel of 4 Roses that Tom personally picked out at the distillery. Too many great things about these places to name here but over cocktails I'd go one and on all night about them!

Iron Barley is my go-to place for a great meal without taking the equivalent wallet hit he food could pass for. I've taken dates there, stopped for a post brewery meal with buddies and had some awesome family dinners there. No one I've ever taken has less than raved about it. Shaved Duck is more of a special occasion place, for me, but certainly is worth the hassle for the experience.

The Perk in Scottsdale. Eat breakfast and skip meals for the rest of the day. Chicken on the Coup is outstanding.

Back