• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Disappointing O store visit

My parents took the kids today so my wife and I went for a drive. We sided to go the hour to the nearest O store, in the Mall of Louisiana in Baton Rogue. I figured I'd use my last F&F coupon and get the blue B1B frog and a free dog tag. I ordered the red yesterday.

When I walked in, the girl immediately reached out for the crater on my head. I recoiled and almost hissed at her. Lol. She asked what they were and could she hold them. I started to take them off and told her to be careful, she said she was going to clean them for me. I put them right back on my head and no thank you! So I told her why I was there and she said " Oh you have to spend $100 after the 30% to get the dog tag." I didn't bother to argue with her that I had just ordered the red one and the total was 80.08 and I got it. So I found a tee shirt and a bag that I wanted. She goes to the back to get the frog. Meanwhile the guy sees the crater and asks what kind they are. I said Mars, he asked who makes those, I sighed and said Oakley several years back.

So I'm roaming around waiting for the girl to return when I notice her ringing up some guy. So I ask her what's up. She wiping off the frog and tells me it's the last one. She wants me to look at it because it has a few Knicks and scratches. I said no thanks I don't want a display unless you're gonna cut the price in half. So I found the Ferrari Jupiter Carbon. Asked the guy how much. He had no idea. Also only the display was left. He tried to show me that it only had a few scratches on the lenses. I said no thanks.

So we walked out and went to SGH upstairs. The girl there didn't have anything good but she was super excited to learn all about X Metal and Mars and the PB2 in had on me as well.

So overall my visit sucked. I wish I had a vault nearby.

Did you ever go to the O-Vault in Gulfport? If not you didn't miss anything. I actually almost ended up working there, but the manager felt that I threatened her job because I knew more about the product than she did. The assistant manager and all of the employees asked her why she didn't hire me and she told them that she thought I was "untrainable," even though I have plenty of experience selling Oakleys. Lol Instead she hired a bunch of young kids that didn't know squat about Oakley. The store only lasted about 6 months before it was closed down. Later on, I found out from the former assistant manager (the one that wanted to hire me) that the manager had been stealing sunglasses from her previous job at Sunglass Hut.

At least you had 2 people that were intrigued and wanted to learn. That means they at least have hope. Hopefully the next guy in with Mars gets a 'hey nice Mars' after seeing yours.

Even if it was part of the training, remembering that many frames is pretty tough.

Did you ever go to the O-Vault in Gulfport? If not you didn't miss anything. I actually almost ended up working there, but the manager felt that I threatened her job because I knew more about the product than she did. The assistant manager and all of the employees asked her why she didn't hire me and she told them that she thought I was "untrainable," even though I have plenty of experience selling Oakleys. Lol Instead she hired a bunch of young kids that didn't know squat about Oakley. The store only lasted about 6 months before it was closed down. Later on, I found out from the former assistant manager (the one that wanted to hire me) that the manager had been stealing sunglasses from her previous job at Sunglass Hut.
I went there twice. You're absolutely right. They didn't know squat. I figured it was just because they were indeed all kids.

After they closed, I talked to the girl at sunglasses hut across the way. She said some company came in and bought lease out from under about 5 stores. They all got booted. Some of the O employees were trying to go there.

The only other O store around is the vault in Foley Alabama. That's a good store. I got a half x from Fernando (member here from Spain) for the manager. He's cool. That's just a long ass drive.

At least you had 2 people that were intrigued and wanted to learn. That means they at least have hope. Hopefully the next guy in with Mars gets a 'hey nice Mars' after seeing yours.

Even if it was part of the training, remembering that many frames is pretty tough.

Not really, they just wanted to sell me tailpins and madmen because they were also round. When I told them I had a sealed Ferrari madman I couldn't unload for $400 they were floored.

I just find it funny that so many people here go to these corporate stores that employ high school kids as 90% of their workforce and complain that they don't know anything about the product yet very few would ever consider going to their local optical retailer who is probably a lot more educated on the products.

I worked at the very first Under Armour store in Canada from the very beginning and know exactly what the environment is like. Only the managers get full time hour and the 25-30 staff consisting of mostly 16-20 year olds get an average of 8-10 hours a week, some as little as 4...do you really expect them to know jack **** about the product or undergo any specific training?? My parents have also owned a couple optical stores and have had an Oakley account since before I was born (25 now) so I know both sides of it.

Granted most optical stores can't stock the whole line up or have a huge inventory but most are required to carry a minimum amount of frames either way and can always order stuff in if you'r willing to pay full price and are picky about display models...

Last edited:
I went there twice. You're absolutely right. They didn't know squat. I figured it was just because they were indeed all kids.

After they closed, I talked to the girl at sunglasses hut across the way. She said some company came in and bought lease out from under about 5 stores. They all got booted. Some of the O employees were trying to go there.

The only other O store around is the vault in Foley Alabama. That's a good store. I got a half x from Fernando (member here from Spain) for the manager. He's cool. That's just a long ass drive.
Yeah i've been there once, we should hit it up this fall when the weather is cool down a bit hang out and bring the wives, check out the new Zoo they built.

What? At retail?

Whoah... I have an actual Vault about 2/.5 hours away from me... I should REALLY give it a try
Yessir $20. I got one when I was on my honeymoon hitting all those vaults around the south. They had a couple. I wish I had picked them all up so pass around here. If they still have them next time I'm there, I will.

Back