• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Dish soap + polarized lense = coating coming off

darkside7

Oakley Enthusiast
i decided to clean all the sweat and grim of my Juliet with ice polarized lense. When I was done, I noticed the lense coating peeling. This sucks. The worst part is that I just got my Juliet back from a tune up

It may have accelerated the deterioration. Sweat and grim that is left sitting on the lens is likely your culprit.

Best to stick to a mild hand doap and warm water.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It's most likely the AR coating on the back of the lenses and yeah, they can be sensitive in certain circumstances. Many never have problems with it but these sort of stories still pop up often enough.

Warranty doesn't cover that but if the fused polarization layer actually delaminated, it would.

Aint dish soap a little strong for lenses? Anyway, I had my fair share of experiences - I was using hand soap to wash my Oakley.. And the polarised lenses peel as well (front and back)

I don't think there's any laminated polarizing layer on the lens, it's all one solid piece.

Oakley

As for dish soap, probably too harsh. I use the Oakley cleaning kit whenever possible and hand soap and warm water in a pinch.

I don't think there's any laminated polarizing layer on the lens, it's all one solid piece.

Oakley

As for dish soap, probably too harsh. I use the Oakley cleaning kit whenever possible and hand soap and warm water in a pinch.

"Laminated" just means "layered"; the polycarbonate itself isn't polarized, there's a polar filter layer regardless of how it's bonded. The difference with Oakley is it's fused into the polycarbonate instead of just glued on like with other brands. Which is why if it delaminates it's considered a manufacturing defect and covered by warranty. It's happened; there are stories here of lenses being replaced via warranty because the polar filter delaminated.

But I don't think that's the case here, just the AR coming off.

i decided to clean all the sweat and grim of my Juliet with ice polarized lense. When I was done, I noticed the lense coating peeling. This sucks. The worst part is that I just got my Juliet back from a tune up
Just curious. How long was it since you actually cleaned the sweat and grime off before?

Latest Posts

Back