• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Display Case Restoration?

You can be pretty aggressive with the aluminium and still have it look nice. You can sand deep scratches away with various grades of sandpaper and then some finer wet and dry paper until its very smooth. As for keeping the grain you can do some vertical strokes with the fine sandpaper and then use some metal polish on a scotch pad / kitchen scouring pad and do up and down strokes and this will soften the lines and leave a dull polished grained appearance.

You can be pretty aggressive with the aluminium and still have it look nice. You can sand deep scratches away with various grades of sandpaper and then some finer wet and dry paper until its very smooth. As for keeping the grain you can do some vertical strokes with the fine sandpaper and then use some metal polish on a scotch pad / kitchen scouring pad and do up and down strokes and this will soften the lines and leave a dull polished grained appearance.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it works out.

Okay, so the restoration has been slow going. Partly because this is my first time doing this and I don't want to screw it up. And partly because I am OCD and everything has to be perfect lol. The spine is about 90% done. Whoever had this case before really abused. There were tons of scratches and gouges. But I think I did a pretty good job getting them out. I'm going to finish the acrylic next. Here are some pics.
ega8avy5.jpg
jy5ebemy.jpg
uge2yqu2.jpg

Latest Posts

Back