• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Diving into X Metals

I've never even attempted it. I know the xs has screws so its more conducive to diy tunes, but I haven't had to do any of my xs yet.

I'm pretty studious about not flexing my metals so I've been years and only sent one pair off for tune. It was my very first pair and I put them and took them off wrong which flexed them a lot and loosened them a good bit. I learned and adapted.
Thanks!

How hard is it to tighten a nose bridge?
It's a gamble. so it's easy but if done wrong costly. I've made tools; screw, punch, press, and hand. none of them work perfectly and you have to adapt to the frame. I am speaking to the rivets of course in Penny, Juliet, Mars, XX, and R2. the hardest thing is the removal, once you get the rivet out and put new rubber in then snap/[ress the rivet back in, if you don't like the flex, you gotta take it out again which is where the gamble lays. One slip and you get a scuffed bridge (at least) and a broken nose bridge at worst.

this thread is one of many that got me wondering If I offer a xmetal trial service if anyone would do it.

Preliminary premise:

send out useable pairs (used but not beatdown lenses firmly tuned frames) 1 of each 8 pairs total.

User pays a deposit with a CC (hold amount equivalent to the value of the pairs, $2k-ish) Each pair has a price.

If customer buys a pair, they just send back the ones they dont want and get refunded the difference. if they decide on a pair but dont want to buy any of the tried on pairs, they ship 'em back and pay a "recommended donation" aka tip of at least $???

what would any of you have paid for that experience if it were available?

or I guess you could do like I did and met up with other collectors to see pairs I had an interest in, in-person.

this thread is one of many that got me wondering If I offer a xmetal trial service if anyone would do it.

Preliminary premise:

send out useable pairs (used but not beatdown lenses firmly tuned frames) 1 of each 8 pairs total.

User pays a deposit with a CC (hold amount equivalent to the value of the pairs, $2k-ish) Each pair has a price.

If customer buys a pair, they just send back the ones they dont want and get refunded the difference. if they decide on a pair but dont want to buy any of the tried on pairs, they ship 'em back and pay a "recommended donation" aka tip of at least $???

what would any of you have paid for that experience if it were available?

or I guess you could do like I did and met up with other collectors to see pairs I had an interest in, in-person.
Back in the day when I first got into collecting I totally would've done this!!!

Nowadays with all the rampant scamming and abuses of trust....stringent safeguards would have to be an absolute must.