• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

DIY Custom Case

Zax

Chicago
Had anyone made their own single wide-ish case before? Here are a couple pics of my progress. Not very pretty, but it's all just scrap wood that I had laying around.

My issue now is the glass/acrylic. I was thinking of just using acrylic so it's less dangerous for my little one to be around...but not sure if it'll look alright. The plus with acrylic is that I can easily cut it, and the length (36" stock) is perfect for the project. Can get both sides from one piece. Cut grooves into the side rails so the acrylic could simply sit, and added padding along the bottom to keep it snug.

Planning on making the back a solid piece so I can anchor it, and the front open without a swinging door.

Still need to route the trim work for the bottom. Once the top is on, I'll only have 35.5" of physical open space to save on material cost.

Either way, any suggestions for this mini project? Had anyone done this before? Appreciate any feedback/help!

7d8cae01df366a0519a6ab7daf78ab47.jpg

7bdc3b37ef2bccf7fc56fcb79895b5f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had anyone made their own single wife-ish case before? Here are a couple pics of my progress. Not very pretty, but it's all just scrap wood that I had laying around.

My issue now is the glass/acrylic. I was thinking of just using acrylic so it's less dangerous for my little one to be around...but not sure if it'll look alright. The plus with acrylic is that I can easily cut it, and the length (36" stock) is perfect for the project. Can get both sides from one piece. Cut grooves into the side rails so the acrylic could simply sit, and added padding along the bottom to keep it snug.

Planning on making the back a solid piece so I can anchor it, and the front open without a swinging door.

Still need to route the trim work for the bottom. Once the top is on, I'll only have 35.5" of physical open space to save on material cost.

Either way, any suggestions for this mini project? Had anyone done this before? Appreciate any feedback/help!

7d8cae01df366a0519a6ab7daf78ab47.jpg

101f53c10a697f0c4633bc580aeb9ae8.jpg

@qtrain23 has made a double wide case or two but never has made a single "wife" case. :p

Got the top on. Just need the trim for the base and acrylic for the sides/back

Not the prettiest thing, but will work for my needs. My collection is rather small compared to all of you haha

c5813548c9ade1ab2d54ba8f62642921.jpg

Looking good just keep an eye out on Craigslist I found a double wide 3.1 for $ 50 yesterday. Last month there was a single for 100. But your diy looks good so far

Last edited:
Great DIY man, keep going! Doesn't matter how "Perfect" it is at all...you made it and it works and will house your collection. Better than factory!

Latest Posts

Back