• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

DMLS printed X-Metal parts?

I'd say the more the merrier. Obviously people will be most interested in the hammerstems though. These will probably require a finishing operation at the hinge to make smooth bearing surfaces, shouldn't be a big deal though... run through with a drill and just a kiss with a sanding wheel.

Come to think of it, It'd also be neat to see what sort of accessories people can come up with, such as side blinders etc. Someone could also pick up where oakley left off and design some novel orbitals around an existing set of lenses to continue the line. Maybe we can see oakley plates with actual metal plates. Really endless possibilities here.

I confirmed I have a method to 3d scan the parts. Should I scan just a hammerstem? or some XS parts too?
Scan everything you have replacement parts can't come soon enough (maybe not everything nobody needs a titanium sausage). Or on the other hand does making replacement parts dilute the gene pool somewhat are we looking at a possible high end fakes market here?

Scan everything you have replacement parts can't come soon enough (maybe not everything nobody needs a titanium sausage). Or on the other hand does making replacement parts dilute the gene pool somewhat are we looking at a possible high end fakes market here?

This is what I'm worried about. I would love to make it available for custom work, but I feel like opening the door for fakes is not a good idea as well

i'm hoping this will be cost prohibitive....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I made a quick dummy model of the approximate size and shape and uploaded it. Seems like it will cost ~$60 for an earstem. It seems like there is a minimum pricing and volume discount available so it might be a bit cheaper if someone gangs these up in a print. Let's assume ~$100 per pair when that happens. IMHO, let's not get petty about preserving the value of these sunglasses (i.e. rarity) and instead focus on keeping them in good working order. Imagine where classic cars would be today without spare parts :(.

If the form, fit and function is the same than as far as I'm concerned, the part is the same. At these prices, it clearly isn't practical to make a profit on a full set, but it does seem practical to use it for replacement hardware.

Last edited:
I confirmed I have a method to 3d scan the parts. Should I scan just a hammerstem? or some XS parts too?
Not familiar with the hammerstem, is it a plastic or metal frame? If metal, do you have access to a sintering3d printer? You could then choose the metal you want and create a tribute frame that is not available anywhere.

What scanner are you using?

Back