• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do not use Ruby or Fire for driving?

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
I guess that in my 13 years of owning oakleys I've never really read all the papers that come when you buy a new set. Just by chance, today I grabbed one and noticed it said:

Warning:
Amber polarized, Fire Iridium, Ruby Iridium and G26 are not suitable for driving or road use (European Union Standard...)

Dear European members... is this true? I love my ruby and I wear them while driving quite a lot, and I've never had issues with them. There is also a bunch of other lenses that you "must not" wear in Australia and New Zeland. I get that some lenses are too clear for driving, but ruby and fire?
But well, I guess I'll take this as a suggestion and keep enjoying my shades. What do you guys think?

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4271.JPG

Last edited:
Never heard this before about either Fire or Ruby. I drive with both of them all the time and have zero issue.

G26 is a different story and there's a few threads here that discuss why they have limited use.

Yeah I get it with the G26, I was in the hunt for a set and after trying them for a while they gave me a headache, plus everything turns purple. I understand why that would be dangerous to drive with, but fire, ruby, gold and dark bronze seems a bit ridiculous if you ask me

Fire gives me a headache :-(

Sent from: Outer Space
Sad to hear that man, I think it's a nice lens, G26 and Polar have a history of causing headaches, but I've never heard of someone getting affected with Fire. That may be the reason for the warning

I drive with Fire a lot. It's one of my favorite lenses. No issues here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some colored lenses can negatively impact how well a driver can see road signs and traffic lights, and spot potential hazards.
Pink, blue and green lenses should can make red lights indistinguishable. But I think it has to do with older traffic lights. I'd been driving with fire and ruby polars for at least 10 years and never had any issues.

It's curious that Australia / New Zealand ban so many lenses for driving.
According to the AS/NZS1067:2003 standard, lenses are banned for use when driving if they provide "very high sunglare reduction", so the ban seems to be based on light transmission levels. However, the way the standard measures light transmission is pretty specific, and probably doesn't match Oakley's published light transmission levels too precisely.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back