• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do not use Ruby or Fire for driving?

Australia banned the Madman (cool), but it also banned the standard square wire 2.0 (not cool) because of "inadequate" lens size.

Australia has developed a reputation for being the ultimate "nanny state".

I think the argument for excluding some lenses for driving has to do with colour perception changes of traffic light colours, especially in those people who have a specific range of colour blindness.

In Europe:

Men wear purses and
Women don't shave

I think they got sh!t backwards! But all jokes aside...

I live in FL(similar UV rays to you in Mexico, @Fresh ) and PREFER amber black iridium/ruby/fire, and BIP of course.
US people are all fat loudmouths that seem to have forgotten where their ancestors all come from, or are they all indians? :lolsign:

But all jokes aside...

I think it is about time the EU should get busy solving real problems in stead of making up all kinds of ridiculous rules and regulations.

Some colored lenses can negatively impact how well a driver can see road signs and traffic lights, and spot potential hazards.
Pink, blue and green lenses should can make red lights indistinguishable. But I think it has to do with older traffic lights. I'd been driving with fire and ruby polars for at least 10 years and never had any issues.

This. Depending on individual perception, Ruby can look too blue and personally I think Fire is a weird choice as a bright light tint. It's pretty much yellow/persimmon with lower LT. The color if tint make for contrast while making things a appear bit "brighter" at the same time for some people, so I'd get why it's not recommended.

I've been using different frames with fire or ruby lenses in them for years when driving and never had an issue. I wonder if the polarized ones cause more of an issue or not.

Australia has developed a reputation for being the ultimate "nanny state".
That's why their "beeeahh" tastes like fizzy pond-water.
:drinks:

The "colour challenged" among us see a range of different hues, but none are prohibited from driving for colour perception alone.
There are other, redundant clues ( three, vertically stacked lights, the sequence of change in light position, indicating stoplights at an intersection).

I wonder if the recommendation not to use Ruby or Fire while driving is related to a propensity to reflect light flares in traffic...
In haze or low light conditions, I find Fire a particular problem.

What for G30 and VR28 blue iridium too????
Both lenses are my most used lenses... Never had a problem with them... I also have G26, fire and fire iridium polar too.. But fire/fire polar never gave me headache or anything... G26 is a very purple tint... Great lens.

That's why their "beeeahh" tastes like fizzy pond-water.
:drinks:

The "colour challenged" among us see a range of different hues, but none are prohibited from driving for colour perception alone.
There are other, redundant clues ( three, vertically stacked lights, the sequence of change in light position, indicating stoplights at an intersection).

I wonder if the recommendation not to use Ruby or Fire while driving is related to a propensity to reflect light flares in traffic...
In haze or low light conditions, I find Fire a particular problem.
Yes in haze or low light conditions Fire is not suitable at all... G30 works just fine in that type of conditions.

Back