• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do you keep a pair in your glove box?

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
I always keep an extra pair of Oakleys in that central compartment that most cars/trucks have.

Basically a spare driving pair for those rare times that I rush out of the house and forget to wear a pair.

Fuel Cell with Black Iridium lenses. Been in my car for almost 10 years now.

Was cleaning them recently and noticed that the iridium was starting to bubble around the edges.

Hardly noticeable and does not affect vision. I guess this is what is referred to as de-lamination.

Now I'm wondering if this is caused by age, or if being stored in a hot car contributes to this.

Anyone else here keep a pair in their car at all times?

Do you think that maybe this isn't such a good idea, or ok to do?

I do for the same reason as you. They come in handy. Nothing crazy, just some basic o-matter in case it is needed. They are sunglasses. They should be able to withstand a little heat...

I always keep an extra pair of Oakleys in that central compartment that most cars/trucks have.

Basically a spare driving pair for those rare times that I rush out of the house and forget to wear a pair.

Was cleaning them recently and noticed that the iridium was starting to bubble around the edges.

Hardly noticeable and does not affect vision. I guess this is what is referred to as de-lamination.

Now I'm wondering if this is caused by age, or if being stored in a hot car contributes to this.

Heat and humidity both contribute to delamination. If you keep a pair in your center console, I would recommend using a beater that you don’t care about because eventually the lens integrity will fail in that environment.

I keep Ray-Bans in my glovebox. Because who cares if they melt?

I keep an old, banged-up set of e-wires in my glovebox. I have had many lenses delam on me but oddly enough this old beater pair never has (yet).

Heat and humidity both contribute to delamination. If you keep a pair in your center console, I would recommend using a beater that you don’t care about because eventually the lens integrity will fail in that environment.
The lens integrity or lack there of is already pealing around the inside edges, so no worries there. Don't need to worry about the glovebox getting hot thanks to an a/c vent located inside of it... German engineering

Latest Posts

Back