• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do you like to "Do It Yourself"........

Crack pipes obama approves
IMG_1281.GIF

Not too long ago I finished my boy's "bedroom set". It is supposed to be reminiscent of shipping crates to go with the pirate theme. I'm not going to include whole room pictures because that would provide more info than I'm comfortable sharing ;) So, sorry for the awkward pics.

As you can see, I like the rugged or rustic look for furniture I make because then flaws just add character...:crazy:
IMG_5402.JPG
IMG_5403.JPG
IMG_5404.JPG

I really like the work every1 has been sharing.

I missed my calling. I should have gotten into wood working. I love the character different woods have. The knottier, the better. Pine being one of my favorites.

Nice work

Nice work. I like the finish. What brand/color is that?

The stain? I don't recall off the top of my head; I can see if I have any leftover in the garage if I remember when I get home. Something from Home Depot.

After a garage audit I believe the one I used on the hutch is Behr Premium Wood Coatings Transparent Weather Proofing All-In-One Wood Finish, Cedar Naturaltone No. 501.

It's not the only leftover I found but I'm pretty sure that's the right one.

After a garage audit I believe the one I used on the hutch is Behr Premium Wood Coatings Transparent Weather Proofing All-In-One Wood Finish, Cedar Naturaltone No. 501.

It's not the only leftover I found but I'm pretty sure that's the right one.
Thanks I will have to remember that for the future. It reminded me of the finish I used for my cedar deck which is harder to get (online only) and a bit more expensive $40 per gal plus shipping . I think 3 gals cost me $140.

Thanks I will have to remember that for the future. It reminded me of the finish I used for my cedar deck which is harder to get (online only) and a bit more expensive $40 per gal plus shipping . I think 3 gals cost me $140.
I forgot to include this link Oil Based Stain | Stain for Decks | Wood Stains | Armstrong-Clark

This stuff is really good. A lot of smart engineering went into making this. I was sold when I called their contact number and spoke to a gentleman who was one of their product engineers. We were on the phone for about 30 minutes. He asked me all sort of questions about my project and gave me great advice. I used this on a red cedar deck (I'll get some pics up when the 18" of snow that feel on it melts).

I had previously use another wood stain made by Sikkens (consumer reports "best stuff on the planet") @ $70/gal. Was never supposed to peel and would last 3-5 years. Yeah right. I spent $350 on this stuff only to have it peel after 2 years. I had to strip by entire deck including rails and went with the Armstrong Clark stain.

Every year I spot sand and stain a few small areas, but other than that, no peeling, minimal fading, and I put it down with a sponge.

Easy peazy, lemon squeezy!

I forgot to include this link Oil Based Stain | Stain for Decks | Wood Stains | Armstrong-Clark

This stuff is really good. A lot of smart engineering went into making this. I was sold when I called their contact number and spoke to a gentleman who was one of their product engineers. We were on the phone for about 30 minutes. He asked me all sort of questions about my project and gave me great advice. I used this on a red cedar deck (I'll get some pics up when the 18" of snow that feel on it melts).

I had previously use another wood stain made by Sikkens (consumer reports "best stuff on the planet") @ $70/gal. Was never supposed to peel and would last 3-5 years. Yeah right. I spent $350 on this stuff only to have it peel after 2 years. I had to strip by entire deck including rails and went with the Armstrong Clark stain.

Every year I spot sand and stain a few small areas, but other than that, no peeling, minimal fading, and I put it down with a sponge.

Easy peazy, lemon squeezy!
Maybe the other stuff was supposed to peel in 3-5 years Canadian? ;)

Maybe the other stuff was supposed to peel in 3-5 years Canadian? ;)
IDK but it was not fun, that much I can tell you. I'm sure I lost at least a year of my life from exposure to the "stripping chemicals" I had to use to get all of the stuff off and ready for the Armstrong stain I used.

Consumer Reports touted Sikkens as a never peel, chip or flake. Not so much. I sanded each and every deck board, 4x4 post, and rail board, per manufacturers requirements to prep too.

Lesson learned. Forget C.R. and call some obscure small business most people have never heard of, talk to someone really knowledgeable and willing to help you, and your prayers will be answered.

Back