• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do you pay sales tax on your eBay purchase?

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
Jersey made a change to the tax law the end of last year that requires all companies that ship to Jersey to charge us a sales tax, even if they don't have a physical presence in the state.

So if I purchase something on eBay for $200. I get billed an extra $14.00 (7%) and it goes to my wonderful state.

I don't mind if it's a big store, but from an individual? Really? So if Joe Average sells me something I have to pay sales tax on it?

Now I kinda now how others feel about customs fees ...

Anyone else pay sales tax whenever you purchase online or is this the only POS state that has this law? :mad:

Jersey made a change to the tax law the end of last year that requires all companies that ship to Jersey to charge us a sales tax, even if they don't have a physical presence in the state.

So if I purchase something on eBay for $200. I get billed an extra $14.00 (7%) and it goes to my wonderful state.

I don't mind if it's a big store, but from an individual? Really? So if Joe Average sells me something I have to pay sales tax on it?

Now I kinda now how others feel about customs fees ...

Anyone else pay sales tax whenever you purchase online or is this the only POS state that has this law? :mad:
NJ is not the only state that does this. Looks like they have caught up with most of the nation.

I get dinged when I buy from an Ebay seller within the state of Florida.

Other sites collect sales tax based on my shipping address.

I usually get around it on Amazon if I buy from a third party seller on there. I'm not fazed because the items are low dollar.

They have been trying to do that locally here as well. For Amazon it's already in place though you can circumvent if buying from a third party or if your purchase is only fulfilled by Amazon.

Haven't seen it in place on eBay yet...

I found that on the Ebay purchases the tax does not show up until I have purchased for the listed price or the agreed price, and then get dinged with a tax on the final bill. I bit annoying for sure...ok more than a bit!:mad:.
A few times I have requested from the seller, if they can refund me on the tax. 80% of the time they have, unless they are a "business" then they throw out the excuses.

6CBA4B37-A0CD-47EC-AD79-C24C664F967C.jpeg

I was never a fan of Bill Clinton, but he and his administration did have a laissez faire (hands off) approach when all of the internet was coming into it own. Now that E-commerce is making more than the old version the states want their part of the pie. Sort of expected by now.

Latest Posts

Back