• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do You really Use The Bag or Cleaning Cloth To Maintain Your Oakleys?

Wally Taylor

I should Work at Oakley
Erie
I couldn't even touch my lenses with the bag. The only thing that touches my lenses are clean bare fingers, dish soap and hot water , and rinse well followed by light dab with a new Kleenex.
I saw a guy on his bike the other day. He stopped, got off of his bike, removed his Jawnbones, took the bag out of his back pocket and really rubbed hard on the lenses with the dirty, dusty bag. I was talking to him. He put his Black Itidium Prisms back on (I heard Prisms were big with bike racers, and he confirmed it" and I could see circular swirls all over his lenses.
I just wondered if any "in the know" Oakley people actually relied on the dirty bag to maintain Your Oakleys? It just goes against everything that I ever learned about keeping those great lenses like new for a long time. The scratch is inevitable, but using that bag guarantees that Your first scratch will be within the first few days of wearing Your new Oakleys. Watching that biker freaked me out when I saw him laying into his lenses with Oakley Sandpaper. You don't, do You?

No hardly ever it freaks me out too haha. If anything, I might occasionally use the inside of the microbag to remove a smudge, but that's it.

I couldn't even touch my lenses with the bag. The only thing that touches my lenses are clean bare fingers, dish soap and hot water , and rinse well followed by light dab with a new Kleenex.
I saw a guy on his bike the other day. He stopped, got off of his bike, removed his Jawnbones, took the bag out of his back pocket and really rubbed hard on the lenses with the dirty, dusty bag. I was talking to him. He put his Black Itidium Prisms back on (I heard Prisms were big with bike racers, and he confirmed it" and I could see circular swirls all over his lenses.
I just wondered if any "in the know" Oakley people actually relied on the dirty bag to maintain Your Oakleys? It just goes against everything that I ever learned about keeping those great lenses like new for a long time. The scratch is inevitable, but using that bag guarantees that Your first scratch will be within the first few days of wearing Your new Oakleys. Watching that biker freaked me out when I saw him laying into his lenses with Oakley Sandpaper. You don't, do You?
Personally I do not. I only use the bags for storage. I know some people who do, but they would never use a heavily soiled bag to clean lenses. Some people will tell you that Kleenex are a paper product and contain wood fibers which can also scratch your lenses. Personally, I use the oakley cleaning solution and those disposable Carl Zeis wipes from the store (yes, I know they are also a paper product but I have yet to scratch a lens, OEM or otherwise). The secret is that I don't rub the lenses hard. Even the softest cloth will scratch iridium if you are pushing dirt down into the lens and dragging it across the lens surface while you clean them.

Yes. I hear You about Kleenex and wood fiber, but the way I softly dab at the drops, I never wipe across the lens, and since the water is in droplets, And I never use the Kleenex that hangs out of the box collecting dust. I always use the second one in the box. You don't even touch the lens most of the time. As far as Zeiss products, if they manufacture them, I would say that You're extremely safe.
Cleaning Oakley lenses as I do has never produced anything except gleaming, streak-free lenses in over 20 years of cleaning lenses. The cleaning bag just seems like a terrible idea to promote as Oakley does, and they don't provide any cleaning advice along with the bag, at least none that I've seen anyway.
The bicyclist reminded me on an old post on here, and a guy was PO'd because he had used the cleaning bag for two weeks as Instructed, and he wondered how he had developed a scratch already.

20160724_183113.jpg
20160724_183047.jpg

I use my bags exclusively. I have a specific, special edition bag for each of my 30 pairs, so no one gets used a ton. Never had any scratching problems, but I'm as particular about keeping the bags clean as I am about my glasses.

Yeah bags good for holding and maybe fliped inside to wipe off lenses of dust particles . Cleaning clothes like stunna only last a bit if use only them. If your lenses is truely dirty. Dish soap is cool only certin a ones thow. mainly to get oils and gunk off lenses. Then cleaning cloth and spray .

Back