• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do you recommend Slate Iridium?

7legion77

Oakley Enthusiast
Apparently I'm such a douche that I am loath to take off my Oakley's even as the sun is setting and I can't see anything.

Therefore, I am thinking of picking up a Slate iridium lens (available for batwolf) that I can wear in very lowlight settings. Who owns one, and how does it serve you. Can you recommend any other low light lenses. I know prizm's good but they're not available for enough frames.

Slate is probably too dark for low light applications. In my experience it works best for morning commutes, doing stuff in shaded areas like the woods or a park, days with bright but overcast skies, etc.

Honestly, there isn't a lens Oakley makes that I feel does very well when the sun is setting. All of their higher light transmission lenses that I've ever tried (Ti Clear, Ruby Clear, Persimmon, HI Yellow, probably others I'm forgetting) suffer from ghosting problems. Some are better than others, and persimmon/HI yellow in particular are very good for rainy days, but when it's just plain dark or low light there isn't a lens I would recommend without some type of footnote.

Ti Clear, Ruby Clear, Persimmon, HI Yellow, probably others I'm forgetting, suffer from ghosting problems.... there isn't a lens I would recommend without some type of footnote.
Good point, but of those examples, I find Ti Clear to be the most natural to wear after the sun sets..

Check out Vr28 Iridium or the G20/G30 lenses. They are excellent for all conditions!
Don't forget VR50 when the streetlights come on. I get zero ghosting from VR50 gold iridium (35% transmission).

I think the only "lighter" lenses offered for Batwolf are Prism Shallow Water (really hard to source) and +Red ( both 15%), not really what you're looking for.
You might want to pick up some Flak Jackets to get a better range of low light lenses, including Photochromic, and lots are readily available.

Latest Posts

Back