• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does anyone else dislike 'Recent Purchases' topics?

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
Just wondering how people feel about these topics?

I get on the forum, hit What's New? and end up skipping a bunch of threads where someone is posting about their new (mostly vanilla) pairs.

I mean, I get it, you got something new and want to show off a little bit or maybe want some feedback... but most of the time it just feels very empty. "Hey I got a new Fast Jacket. It has black and persimmon lenses. It is very nice" and then 10 replies of people saying "cool pickup".

*Note this is not in response to any one topic, or toward any member

If you get something new, that's awesome, but I feel you could contain it all in one collection thread ala Jono. Yea the XX buy threads were cool for a while, but now you 30+ threads of 2 pics and a few replies (no offense 702).

I almost feel those entire sections can be replaced by a running "What did you buy today?" thread.

I like this solution.

Yup, I've felt like those sections could just be compacted into a "Most recent Oakley Purchases" thread just like the "What Oakleys are you wearing today?" thread. Its not really a major deal to me though, I've posted in that section myself. Its nice to share recent purchases especially when you can't afford to buy new pairs all the time like me haha.

I read maybe only 30-40% of threads on here, the rest I skip on by. Doesn't mean those threads are pointless though, or that people should feel like they can't post a certain thread. We all have different interests and ways of communicating, and long may that continue.

If you get something new, that's awesome, but I feel you could contain it all in one collection thread ala Jono. Yea the XX buy threads were cool for a while, but now you 30+ threads of 2 pics and a few replies (no offense 702).

Agree with this, a single thread per user would be much cleaner.

Agree with this, a single thread per user would be much cleaner.

I agree that would be much cleaner but honestly whats the difference between one thread that gets bumped all the time to a new thread. I usually wont do it until I have like 4 or 5 new pairs unless its something a little harder to get like my Tron PB or my most recent one was a Gen Two Cobalt Mframe that was like new.

I agree that would be much cleaner but honestly whats the difference between one thread that gets bumped all the time to a new thread. I usually wont do it until I have like 4 or 5 new pairs unless its something a little harder to get like my Tron PB or my most recent one was a Gen Two Cobalt Mframe that was like new.

Makes it harder to find the thread you're looking for if its buried 15 threads down

I see you guy's point, and to me or you guys who have been at this for a while, most pairs seem pretty vanilla. But you have to remember, there are a lot of new guys here, and to poo-poo on these guys for being excited about their new pairs seems kinda harsh, don't you think? One man's vanilla may be another's grail.

I understand the issue here but there are some arguments.

If a user were to post one thread for all their recent purchases, then you will still have people commenting like they do normally, which is fine. If people want to congratulate or comment on a new pair, that is perfectly acceptable. But you still have no way of knowing if they posted a new pair in the thread or if it just was commented on, when you see it in "What's New".

The biggest issue I see, is that you have no way of knowing what is in the thread. If someone posts a thread for each purchase, and I see "Fast Jacket" I know there is a fast jacket in there. And even though you may not be interested, because you know what is in the thread, you can simply skip over it. But if someone is interested and looking for "Fast Jackets" now they know where to look. In addition, if they search for "Fast Jacket" it will come up and they can find pictures, comments and info about the glasses.

Everyone wants to show off a new pair of glasses. Thats why we have the recent purchases area. IMO, I prefer if a member creates a new thread for each pair and names it appropriately because I instantly know whats inside. But I understand for some members it is easier to post all in one thread and keep track of it all, which is fine too. Its just really a matter of preference.

Back