• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does Anyone Fabricate X-Metal-like Frames?

I invite all of you guys to check out CPF and get a custom light. It will knock your socks off. And here is the "piece de la resistance" the $1,800 flashlight (if your lucky) . The Spy 007 XM-L2 !!! It's palm sized, 2xCR123 (or IMR 16340). 6 programable user mode banks to customize, .1 - 1200 lumen, never gets hot, designed by Data at Cool Fall.
5avymare.jpg
adete6a2.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding trits. They use NOA 61 (norland optical adhesive). The curing process uses UV light. The trits cost $7 and then another $14 to install (per trit). Easy to replace if u know the right people. Good tritium from Asia , can have a half-life closer to 25 years.

Fresh tritium decreases by 50% after 12.3 years. Therefore, it is visible, but dimmer from 12.3 yrs - 25 yrs. Am I wrong? How about installing tritium along the arms of X-Metal glasses. That would be absolutely impossible right? It would be fun to see which community could do it first; CPF vs Oakley forums ??? You guys have some pretty talented modders here, but the CPF custom moders find ways to "re-create" the wheel . It must be so sad to know that Oakley has closed the X-Metal plant and discontinued the product line. Lux will never re-invigorate that pinnacle of design excellence (when aesthetics and functionality collide to create something beyond greatness) Its almost heartbreaking to watch. Will someone pick up the mantle? Someone should acquire the rights to make a new generation of X-Metal using 3D printing and crowd-sourced financing. Its a pipe dream. Rustpot, can I convince you to get a custom light? If you walk your dog, or take out the trash, ect, you will use it even more than a pair of sunglasses. But lets not let this thread veer into "thread-creep". I'm so happy I joined this spot. Now, who has some Carbon X-Squared frames for me so I can take them to my boys at CPF and lay some tritium???

Fresh tritium decreases by 50% after 12.3 years. Therefore, it is visible, but dimmer from 12.3 yrs - 25 yrs. Am I wrong?
Yes and no. Half life describes the decay rate at which half of the remaining particles remain. So in 12.5 years you'll have half as many active particles, in 25 years you'll have 1/4. In 37.5 it would be 1/8. And so on.

The light is generated from the decay. As the tritium loses an electron it gives off light (excess energy from the valence bonds).

If there is tritium that lasts 25 years it's probably got twice as much "juice in the tube" so to speak. It still dims at the same rate, but after the time frame there's still enough active material to give a perceptible glow.

As far as adding tritium to an X Metal frame? Knock yourself out. Fixture at the hinge of the stem, index close to where you're cutting, and mill a shallow slot. It might turn out pretty cool if you match the lens. But at the same time tritium isn't very visual in sunlight, which is where sunglasses get used. You'd really only see it in the case.

Would I buy a custom light? Yeah, why not. I own a lot of flashlights. Most cost under $50. Last time I lost power I pulled the weaponlight off my pistol and walked around with that.

Good point, I guess you could say that Tritium and Sunglasses are completely antithetical. Tritium is used to locate something in the dark, so when would you need to find your sunglasses in the dark? its a double negative - jumbo shrimp. Now that I'm thinking of it, it may be one of the stupidest ideas Ive ever had. Hey Rustpot, we make P60 drop-ins for your 2-cell surefire lights. They are cheap ($50 and under) and they have crazy output and ridiculous run-time. We make "drop-ins" for many production lights, mag-lights, surefire, solar-force, ect. These drop-ins go into a "host" (like your surefire 6p) and replace the Led that came with your light. Its funny, I got pulled over the other night, the cop had an old-school 3D Mag-light. I told him that I could increase his run-time and lumen output by 500% at the cost of $20, he thought I was on crack, then I showed him one of my EDC lights with a single cell cr123 battery that way out-shined his giant 3D mag light. Its so fun.

Back