• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

does iridium coating affects the base color

Sushobhon

I should Work at Oakley
My fire iridium and prizm golf started peeling at the centre of the lens.. I want to know whether the iridium coating affects the base tint or not... because if somehow all of iridium has gone but base color remains the same.then i can use it. because i really love the lens shape.. Also one of my old heater lens is very badly peeled.. I don't use that because it will look stupid with one side iridium and one side no iridium.. but i want to know is there any way to completely peel the iridium from the lens?

Yep, that's the thread I made on the topic.

And no, for you to remove all the iridium you're going to mar the lenses enough to make them unusable. Some people have had some success removing the AR coating when it starts to peel, but iridium is a different story.

Yep, that's the thread I made on the topic.

And no, for you to remove all the iridium you're going to mar the lenses enough to make them unusable. Some people have had some success removing the AR coating when it starts to peel, but iridium is a different story.
Ok thank you.. It is very informative thread... What should i do when lenses started peeling at the centre of the lens.. Should i be able to use it or buy a new lens?

Ok thank you.. It is very informative thread... What should i do when lenses started peeling at the centre of the lens.. Should i be able to use it or buy a new lens?

Once a lens starts peeling, it's no longer performing optimally and it's time to replace it. But nothing's stopping you from continuing to use it for however long you want to.

Once a lens starts peeling, it's no longer performing optimally and it's time to replace it. But nothing's stopping you from continuing to use it for however long you want to.
My prizm golf started to peel...i don't know what caused it to peel.. the same thing happened with my fire iridium heater lenses.. I haven't used it for a while.. When recently i open my case to use it.. I saw it in a very bad state.. So my question is what causes these lenses to peel... Do moisture makes it to peel?? or other causes... I never put it on top of my head... i don't use any hair gel.. I usually clean the lenses everytime i use it.

My prizm golf started to peel...i don't know what caused it to peel.. the same thing happened with my fire iridium heater lenses.. I haven't used it for a while.. When recently i open my case to use it.. I saw it in a very bad state.. So my question is what causes these lenses to peel... Do moisture makes it to peel?? or other causes... I never put it on top of my head... i don't use any hair gel.. I usually clean the lenses everytime i use it.

Are you sure it's the iridium that's peeling? Perhaps instead it's the anti-reflective coating? Is it peeling from the inside or outside of the lens?

In general iridium doesn't peel off, it scratches, chips, or flakes. But the problem with the AR coating peeling is fairly common.

Are you sure it's the iridium that's peeling? Perhaps instead it's the anti-reflective coating? Is it peeling from the inside or outside of the lens?

In general iridium doesn't peel off, it scratches, chips, or flakes. But the problem with the AR coating peeling is fairly common.
I will post a picture of it.. Pls tell me what is happening?

This is my prizm golf lens ...
IMG_20170830_210841.jpg
IMG_20170830_210838.jpg
IMG_20170830_210838.jpg

Latest Posts

Back