• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does Lens Cutting Interfere With XYZ Optics?

T Ride

Oakley Beginner
After getting a better understanding of prism and how Oakley combats it with its XYZ optics, I was curious if lens cutters account for the optical center where it is thicker, will the benefits still show? If not I would consider just buying fake emerald lenses instead of cutting up a nice expensive g26 radar lens for my Juliet I will get some day.

Yes and no. Since Oakley doesn't measure pupil spacing the lenses aren't tuned as precise as an Rx lens would be. So two people wearing the same pair won't be looking through the same point.

The tapering of the lens isn't huge. You get more distortion going from a Toric shield lens (which has a different style of base curve altogether) chopped into a Juliet than you would chopping a Big Taco down to a Juliet.

The bigger question is why would you go with the terrible G26 (which is a very specific lens for a single purpose) instead of Jade? Jade has the same iridium and is a much more functional everyday lens. It's not quite the same as G26, but you can probably find a good Jade polar Taco lens.

Don't get me wrong, G26 is a beautiful iridium lens. I just don't see any reason to use it over Jade. Unless you're trying to use your Juliets for skeet/trap/clays.

Wow, thank you for the lengthy responses! I didn't even consider jade as I'm rather new to the game. It does make sense as eye separation is different between people. Would either of you say that XYZ is 'overhyped' as they still advertise with it today?

No, I don't think it's overhyped. The marketing spin is big, just like any company does. But the tapering does do its job to help maintain clarity.

The reason you get distortion is due to refraction. As the angle of the lens changes (it's a curve) the light will bend differently. Changing the thickness of the refractive material counteracts this to a certain degree.

To get a really good idea of the issue this is trying to combat look through a rifle scope or magnifying glass and change the angle you're looking through it. You'll see the image bend and morph. It's compounded in these since you're dealing with multiple convex lenses, double convex lenses, etc, but a sunglass lens is optically similar in terms of how light is altered as it passes through.

Another thing you can do it take a laser pointer, turn it on, point it at the wall, and mark where the beam hits. Put an Oakley lens in front of it and see the deflection. Now turn and twist the lens so the laser is going through different parts at different angles. If you're in the foci (multiple since the curvature has multiple bases) the laser shouldn't move.

Great science lesson and an awesome test to demonstrate, thanks for all of the advice you have already given me in my first couple days on the forum. I will make sure to do this test when my radars arrive!

Wow, the most in depth thread to date on lenses. Good topic. Rust is correct in all his terms. Oakley lenses are Base-In Prism Polycarbonate Optical lenses. Very Similar to what Costa, Ray Ban and other High end makers use. ALL Aftermarket lenses to date, from what I have seen, are ALL non-Prism based lenses. So just plain Polycarbonate ones. Also the coatings make a Huge difference in vision quality. 9/10 times the coatings totally ruin vision quality. I have a friend who is an expert on this, I will get him to jump in on this. Yes I, on my cuts. Optically center the cut for the best possible optics on the donor for the new frame. If Polarized, they are even further Optically adjusted to compensate for the new angle of Polarization.

It's great seeing a response from a lens cutter! I have always been curious how cutting a lens affected it's quality. It's great to know cutters (at least yourself) do take care in cutting them properly and not just taking the quick and easy route. This justifies buying custom cut lenses for me. I would also love to hear a response from your friend, this kind of stuff is interesting to me.

Good, the other lens cutters do a fine job also.

Cutting any 8 base curve lens thats large enough for the cut does not really change optics. The optics stay the same, just pending what type of donor lens is used the angle might be slightly off. I cannot quantify the difference between optically figuring out that angle and making sure the donor lens is at that angle also (which I do), and not measuring that out. It is likely minimal and most likely no one can actually tell the difference. I will say in order to get some cuts from some lenses, you must twist the lenses to make them fit. They seem to work just fine with no noticeable differences. I cannot do those types myself due to my machine won't cut when there is minimal material to cut off. I must have 1mm or more to get it done. I cannot save any etches except the Transition one. All others are too tight to the edge.

Radar lenses can be cut for X Metals also, but are slightly more difficult for proper fit and the cut out of the proper place due to the size and wrap.
There is a lens cutting chart that is nice to look at, there are others not listed that work also. Each Lens cutter has their preference of lenses, and also have their own certain ones not listed they can use with perfection.

Mine are all cut and measured by a Licensed Optician who can also and has also done prescription lenses in X Metals for customers of mine. I work with him on all projects. In my opinion-- XYZ = Base-in-prism lenses. Iridum = Mirror coating Plutonite-- Polycarbonate So as Rust said, all corps have their own advertising aspects and these are some of them.

All very interesting stuff. I saw you mention other 'competing' brands such as Ray Ban. Putting the ANSI standard aside, do you think that optically Oakley lenses are about the same or even inferior to other competitors also made by Luxottica? Once again thanks to everyone who has participated in the discussion.

Also wanted to add that the reason I chose g26 for the Juliet in the original post was because I was only familiar with radar lenses being cut for Juliets, I didn't realize about Taco and more specifically jade until now which is more what I am looking for anyway.

Latest Posts

Back