• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Doing Aftermarket Lense Reviews. You Can Add Other Models.

Just got some Exovista Liquid Metals for my Romeo 1 and they're going back. The coating of the lens looks nice, but everything else was horrible. First, the cut of the lens was very sharp and jagged. Second, THEY DIDNT FIT. Lastly, and almost most importantly, the optical clarity was lackluster. It is very obvious when comparing the optical clarity of the Exovista lens compared to the Oakley lens. Even if they did fit, I don't think I could tolerate looking through them. Guess I may just have to bite the bullet and pay for a custom set to be cut.

Two weeks agou I bought a pair of ruby Exovista for my Twenty XX.
Shipping from USA to Germany was fast, just 8 days.
The first look is ok but:

- it´s very hard to clean them
- when I hold them in a 45° angle I can see a shadow around the center of the lenses
- when wearing them you can see the shadow as well
- contrast is bad

Good enough for the bin.

Today i received five pairs of lenses from Visionarylenses.

- 4 weeks from Oregon/US to Germany - thats a no go
- Quality is better than Exovista
- Cleaning goes better but not as good as original lenses
- Contrast is not as good as original lenses
- They are not polarized as advertised

They are OK and cost 1/5. Wouldnt buy them again, because I just have two eyes and will keep them in good condition.

Conclusion: Aftermarket lenses are not as good as described and they can not beat Oakley lenses.

As a newbie O collector who only acquires to use them, and not as an "investment", this thread ROCKS!
You just might save someone (like me!) from throwing my money away on something I can't use.
From what I've read so far, if the glasses are only for display, the clones might be OK.
But for my eyes, Dr.Chop (may he live long and prosper!) is the way to go.
This reporting can only serve to raise the bar for everyone producing for the aftermarket.
Thanks tarheel7734

Cutting Oakley lenses is no different than an aftermarket lenses with the exception of the plastic used. I stated I did not want poeple interrupting the thread talking about how everything is inferior. This is Oakley forum and this has to do with Oakley frames and sunglasses. If no one actually tries these items how can we know that Oakley is truly better. This is an experiment on my part to get down to the truth of aftermarket lenses and pallets quality.

Ohh and the doc does not cut lenses for every model out there the Romeo 2 is am example of one he will not cut for.

To say that cutting an Oakley lens is the same as using aftermarket is astonishingly misguided in my opinion,and if you can't work out why I don't think anyone here can help you.If there are models of Oakley ,that cannot have lenses cut for them then I suppose putting some aftermarket rubbish in them is an option,the problem is you no longer have a pair of Oakley sunglasses do you?

To say that cutting an Oakley lens is the same as using aftermarket is astonishingly misguided in my opinion,and if you can't work out why I don't think anyone here can help you.If there are models of Oakley ,that cannot have lenses cut for them then I suppose putting some aftermarket rubbish in them is an option,the problem is you no longer have a pair of Oakley sunglasses do you?

Couldn't have said it better. I find it shocking the number of Oakley enthusiasts on this forum who are prepared to buy cheap lenses to put in their oakley frames. May as well go the whole 9 yards and buy knock foakleys from china (IMHO).

Cutting Oakley lenses is no different than an aftermarket lenses with the exception of the plastic used. I stated I did not want poeple interrupting the thread talking about how everything is inferior. This is Oakley forum and this has to do with Oakley frames and sunglasses. If no one actually tries these items how can we know that Oakley is truly better. This is an experiment on my part to get down to the truth of aftermarket lenses and pallets quality.

Ohh and the doc does not cut lenses for every model out there the Romeo 2 is am example of one he will not cut for.
That is not a correct statement at all. I will cut lenses for an R2 providing a suitable base is available. At the time you posted, I had not found anything that truly fit as it needed to due to the R2 having a very wide top area for the tabs. I do have a forum member and local actually looking into having his done, so this may be something in the future, near future.

As for the whole this lens, that lens, and what I cut is no different, excuse me, but you bumped your freakin head man! When an OEM lens is cut PROPERLY, they are equal to any other OEM lens, end of story.

You can put a Ferrari look alike body on a Pontiac Fiero and it's still a Fiero. Same with lenses. Morph an old Ferrari Body with a new Ferrari Frame/Drivetrain and what do you have??? A bad ass new handling vintage looking Ferrari, that is STILL a Ferrari. If these alternatives were worth a sh!t (excuse me), half of them wouldn't be $20 shipped. Problem is, most people buying them are the same people responsible for Oakley going the direction of following the trend, rather than innovating and being unique. I don't know who has it in their minds that any walleva sh!t lens is remotely close to ANSI spec that Oakley is, but you are nuts. When a lens that is supposed to fit in "X" frame is HALF the thickness, first off, it won't remain in the frame the same as an Oakley upon impact, which is part of the ANSI standard, it damn sure can't take the abuse of multiple impacts at 20 points like an Oakley (ANSI tests require certain amounts of impacts at varying locations across the lens surface, however they (ANSI) replace the lens with a new one each time an impact test is done, according to the R&D guys at Oakley), but I have physically seen an Oakley lens shot multiple times in varying locations on the SAME lens without breakage, ejection from the frame, etc. So there is TRULY no comparison. Now if you want some flashy color Oakley doesn't offer for something to be a shelf whore, drop $20 and put the crap in...Me, I would cut em or deal with the lack of color. The XYZ and HDO optics are what drive an Oakley lens to be superior, on top of the fact that the Plutonite (highest optical grade of lexan according to Oakley) material is just superior.

Not trying to rant, but this is one of those beating a dead horse topics, the only real comparison here is color vs color, the rest is already proven. You might as well go buy Louis Vitton knock offs in the alleys of the LA Garment district for your wives and put your stick on Pep Boys fender vents on your Tahoes with the Cadillac grilles.

Very,very articulate and very,very true. Thank you.
That is not a correct statement at all. I will cut lenses for an R2 providing a suitable base is available. At the time you posted, I had not found anything that truly fit as it needed to due to the R2 having a very wide top area for the tabs. I do have a forum member and local actually looking into having his done, so this may be something in the future, near future.

As for the whole this lens, that lens, and what I cut is no different, excuse me, but you bumped your freakin head man! When an OEM lens is cut PROPERLY, they are equal to any other OEM lens, end of story.

You can put a Ferrari look alike body on a Pontiac Fiero and it's still a Fiero. Same with lenses. Morph an old Ferrari Body with a new Ferrari Frame/Drivetrain and what do you have??? A bad ass new handling vintage looking Ferrari, that is STILL a Ferrari. If these alternatives were worth a sh!t (excuse me), half of them wouldn't be $20 shipped. Problem is, most people buying them are the same people responsible for Oakley going the direction of following the trend, rather than innovating and being unique. I don't know who has it in their minds that any walleva sh!t lens is remotely close to ANSI spec that Oakley is, but you are nuts. When a lens that is supposed to fit in "X" frame is HALF the thickness, first off, it won't remain in the frame the same as an Oakley upon impact, which is part of the ANSI standard, it damn sure can't take the abuse of multiple impacts at 20 points like an Oakley (ANSI tests require certain amounts of impacts at varying locations across the lens surface, however they (ANSI) replace the lens with a new one each time an impact test is done, according to the R&D guys at Oakley), but I have physically seen an Oakley lens shot multiple times in varying locations on the SAME lens without breakage, ejection from the frame, etc. So there is TRULY no comparison. Now if you want some flashy color Oakley doesn't offer for something to be a shelf whore, drop $20 and put the crap in...Me, I would cut em or deal with the lack of color. The XYZ and HDO optics are what drive an Oakley lens to be superior, on top of the fact that the Plutonite (highest optical grade of lexan according to Oakley) material is just superior.

Not trying to rant, but this is one of those beating a dead horse topics, the only real comparison here is color vs color, the rest is already proven. You might as well go buy Louis Vitton knock offs in the alleys of the LA Garment district for your wives and put your stick on Pep Boys fender vents on your Tahoes with the Cadillac grilles.

Back