• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Done with eBay

So I was finally able to get the money back from the one dude who was giving me a hard time about it. So... fine. I guess eBay and I are on speaking terms again.

I agree with most people here... I just need to learn to keep my expectations low so I can be pleasantly surprised.

Anytime I'm considering buying on eBay I ask...... "Do the lenses or frames have any scratches, blemishes, or defects?" "If yes to any of the previous questions, please describe"

Based on answers I'll decide if I want to chance it or not and I only will buy with someone who offers returns. Out of 6 purchases I've only had slight issues with 2.

A pair of Fives that the "O" was visibly scratched, along with the coating on the lenses that were both delaminated (and scratched). Worked out a deal for partial refund (which was the price I was willing to pay factoring that the lenses were garbage anyway)

Second was condition of lenses that came with a pair of fast jackets. I worked out a deal for a partial refund for those as well.

Going into both deals I took the time to evaluate who I was dealing with so that if I did have post sale issues I would be able to contact them back and negotiate.

It takes extra time, but if you ask very simple questions and get a detailed explanation, in most cases, you can work with that person. If they don't take the time to answer simply questions with any kind of detail, I would be cautious.

That model has served me well so far.

I agree with @Orion on asking simple questions to get the information you require. The seller's response(s) can give you valuable info on not only the item itself, but also the seller and his/her attitude.

I would add that this goes for dealings on this Forum too.

Bought a pair of Tens recently that were described as "in great shape". Messaged the seller to ask what condition the lenses were in (wanted them for a project) and he replied "Unmarked. There may be something minor but you can't see it. Barley used them"

This was the condition I received them in:
20160421_182621_resized.jpg 20160421_182548_resized.jpg 20160421_182405_resized.jpg 20160421_182428_resized.jpg

Barely used!? Looked like a dog had been chewing them. Needless to say, I sent them right back, opened a case against him and got my money back. However, the guy is trying to fight it saying that I knew they were used and he wasn't accepting returns. First real issue I've had on ebay, but it's definitely tainted my opinion.

Bought a pair of Tens recently that were described as "in great shape". Messaged the seller to ask what condition the lenses were in (wanted them for a project) and he replied "Unmarked. There may be something minor but you can't see it. Barley used them"

This was the condition I received them in:
View attachment 247712 View attachment 247713 View attachment 247714 View attachment 247715

Barely used!? Looked like a dog had been chewing them. Needless to say, I sent them right back, opened a case against him and got my money back. However, the guy is trying to fight it saying that I knew they were used and he wasn't accepting returns. First real issue I've had on ebay, but it's definitely tainted my opinion.
Obviously an out-right lie. "In great shape" compared to what? A pair that went through a shredder? If you have the email correspondence you should have a fighting chance if you dispute with eBay.

I do have a copy of the ebay correspondence, yes, and have provided it along with the pics taken the day I received them. My only fear is if he's trying to convince them they weren't in that condition when he sent them to me.

I do have a copy of the ebay correspondence, yes, and have provided it along with the pics taken the day I received them. My only fear is if he's trying to convince them they weren't in that condition when he sent them to me.

Having read through all these posts, I've decided that if/when I do go back to eBay I'm actually going to resort to recording the unboxing of my purchase for evidentiary purposes.

Having read through all these posts, I've decided that if/when I do go back to eBay I'm actually going to resort to recording the unboxing of my purchase for evidentiary purposes.
I've thought of that myself on the chance I would need evidence it wasn't me that created the "damage". It sucks you have to think like that but it certainly is good insurance if you need it

I at least have delivery confirmation that matches the time stamp on the photos, so I'm relatively confident everything will work out in my favor.

Back