• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Don´t understand why MLB pitches don´t wear sunglasses !

Tom.

Europe
Always wondered about this, so i googled around and found no rule saying they can´t wear sunglasses. Strange to me since we see them squinting their eyes all the time. The other players are often squirting as well, i say to myself "wear some shades you fool."

Anyone noticed this too ? And perhaps know why we never see pitchers wear sunglasses.

Maybe a preference kinda thing. Like people always asking me what time it is. Why not just wear a watch?

Outside of the MLB (and MLB minor affiliates) it's more common- ESPECIALLY in HS and little league. I've seen hitters in things like Fire Iridium Flaks and pitchers too. The only rule about it as far as pitchers are concerned is that umps can order removal if the glasses are deemed to be "distracting". It IS an interesting question as to why it's not common later on though especially with the development of targeted lenses like Prizm Baseball Infield etc. I've heard things like that curved sport lenses actually shift where the ball appears to be ever so slightly - but I've tested that theory causally and I don't experience it...also if that was true then fielders should have an issue with locating the ball too and they don't.

When MLB players wear sunglasses it is usually Oakley. Does anyone know if all those players are sponsored by Oakley and can get as many sunglasses as they want , or is there a limit ? Or do they buy them themselves with a big discount ?

Guess these questions are hard to answer for us forum members, wish an mlb or Oakley insider could help out here :)

When MLB players wear sunglasses it is usually Oakley. Does anyone know if all those players are sponsored by Oakley and can get as many sunglasses as they want , or is there a limit ? Or do they buy them themselves with a big discount ?

Guess these questions are hard to answer for us forum members, wish an mlb or Oakley insider could help out here :)
They buy them.

As a former pitcher, it's really hard (as a righty) to look at first while in the stretch. Even with M Frame/Orbital-less glasses, there's a view blockage.

Back