• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Double wide 3.0 Disassembly possible ?

Bo™

Oakley Enthusiast
Belgium
Hi all,

I managed to make a deal for a double wide 3.0/3.1 for only 275euro, but I don't think it will fit in my car ...
Is it possible to disassemble it in a way that makes it less high ... it's the longest side (height) that poses a problem.

Any transporting tips are also appreciated .. i'm afraid to scratch it.

;)

Hi all,

I managed to make a deal for a double wide 3.0/3.1 for only 275euro, but I don't think it will fit in my car ...
Is it possible to disassemble it in a way that makes it less high ... it's the longest side (height) that poses a problem.

;)

What kind of car do you have? Do you have a roof rack? Or a friend with a truck.

Tips: take out the shelves, remove the bottom plastic panel inside the case cuz sometimes it falls into the case and could shatter the mirror inside. Lock the doors so they don’t swing, remove the power cable. Buy some moving
Blankets or take some old towels to wrap the case if you want to avoid scratches. Last but not least check the lower storage when and only when you get home, there could be some old stock down there and could turn into free-bees.

Thanks for the tips ... i think i'll be using all my towels and blankets just to make sure.
Fingers crossed for freebees and hopefully some display stands and extra's :)

A friend of mine just measured his car and he has cm (2 inches) less than mine, so i'm afraid i will have to rent a van for a day, if i cannot take it apart and reassemble it that is.

I read somewhere that the bottom drawer portion of the case can be removed, but i haven't actually inspected mine to see if it does. When i transported my 3.1 DW home, i just laid it down in a van (middle and 3rd row seats removed) with a ton of towels.

Hi all,

;)
@jdd32 may have some advice. I think he took one apart.
Yes they can be dismantled. Not easy because those cabinets were released in different batches and all 3 of mine had different screw sizes, different cabling, and different lighting electrical. You'll need a decent kitted toolbox with metric and imperial socket wrenches + hex keys +normal set of screwdrivers of different sizes + step ladder and tonnes of shipping material like bubble wrap or towels and packing tape.

Essentially the shelf consists of door, side panels, shelves, top cabinet head, base cabinet "box", and the 4 pillar struts

Btw you'll never fit a double wide in any car as-is unless you have a Ute, 5+ seater SUV or a van. Normal car roof rack won't hold the approx 70kg bulky unit imo. I definitely won't attempt it with roofracks unless you want to risk smashing your car loading/unloading or compromise driving.

Thanks @jdd32 ... it sounds like i'm better of transporting it in 1 piece in a rented van ... and then i might take it apart at home before dragging it up the stairs ... 70kg seems like a lot to get up 6 flights of stairs in one piece :oops:

Thanks @jdd32 ... it sounds like i'm better of transporting it in 1 piece in a rented van ... and then i might take it apart at home before dragging it up the stairs ... 70kg seems like a lot to get up 6 flights of stairs in one piece :oops:
They're bulky and heavy. You need 2 guys with arm forklift straps to move 6 flights of stairs if it's a single unit. Glass shelves + door was around 30kg iirc, cabinet for single was around 40kg. Double wide would weigh around 70kg imo

So do you mean the heaviest piece would still weigh 70kg when i take it apart ?
Or can i split that in to 2 pieces ?

Latest Posts

Back