• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Doubt in shopping lenses for driving

Driver Joe

Oakley Beginner
Hello, guys!
I'm buying new lenses for my Holbrook frame.
I work as a driver and am on the road most of the time.
I hesitate between Black, Ruby and Tungsten lenses with PRIZM and polarization (or some others?)
If you can help which one to choose and which ones are best for driving I would be grateful.
Thank you

If you want traditional, I like prizm black with no polarization. If you want to bump up the contrast, I like prizm road (there’s road black if you don’t like purple/red lenses).

I prefer Tungsten for most of my driving (mid-west to east coast), probably the highest contrast option there is and the warmth really helps my mood.

However not everyone likes the big color pop or warm tone, in which case standard Prizm Black tends to be best (and darker), but because it's darker it's harder to use in both sunny and overcast (the polarization can sometimes be a little help if you got some drizzle going on, and there is still a bit of UV exposure when it's cloudy).

Ruby is a bronze base like Tungsten, but because of the red mirror on the front, it's very cold looking thru the lens, and a little green leaning. I have Ruby for my Holbrook XL and I've only used it about twice before just storing it away, not a fan of it.

When I'm out on the road I'm usually choosing between Maritime for my closer-to-neutral-but-still-pops comfort lens (you have to get it custom cut for something like the Holbrook, it's not available for it, I use them in a pair of X-Squared) , Tungsten for higher contrast and pop with warm tone, and Trail (only available non-polarized) for darker overcast or shade, that has a pretty strong color pop.

I prefer Tungsten for most of my driving (mid-west to east coast), probably the highest contrast option there is and the warmth really helps my mood.

However not everyone likes the big color pop or warm tone, in which case standard Prizm Black tends to be best (and darker), but because it's darker it's harder to use in both sunny and overcast (the polarization can sometimes be a little help if you got some drizzle going on, and there is still a bit of UV exposure when it's cloudy).

Ruby is a bronze base like Tungsten, but because of the red mirror on the front, it's very cold looking thru the lens, and a little green leaning. I have Ruby for my Holbrook XL and I've only used it about twice before just storing it away, not a fan of it.

When I'm out on the road I'm usually choosing between Maritime for my closer-to-neutral-but-still-pops comfort lens (you have to get it custom cut for something like the Holbrook, it's not available for it, I use them in a pair of X-Squared) , Tungsten for higher contrast and pop with warm tone, and Trail (only available non-polarized) for darker overcast or shade, that has a pretty strong color pop.
I currently have a PRIZM Ruby and they are great for me, it just bothers me a little in the morning when the sun is stronger it just feels like polarization is needed. Otherwise I’m happy with them except I lack polarization. Most people recommended Tungsten, I'm from Croatia, so the sun is quite strong and intense, but there is also a lot of clouds, so I need it to help me in all cases, it seems that the choice falls on Tungsten because it has the most recommendations.

I currently have a PRIZM Ruby and they are great for me, it just bothers me a little in the morning when the sun is stronger it just feels like polarization is needed. Otherwise I’m happy with them except I lack polarization. Most people recommended Tungsten, I'm from Croatia, so the sun is quite strong and intense, but there is also a lot of clouds, so I need it to help me in all cases, it seems that the choice falls on Tungsten because it has the most recommendations.

1643107828258..jpg

Prizm Black is the way to go. Great contrast, nice color. In a Holbrook is a wrap!

Back