• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Downside To Polarized?

Jackal

Oakley Beginner
Other than cost and LCD issues, is there any real downside? I have never worn a pair so I have nothing to work with. I know LCD can be an issue, but these days there probably isn't much of that left to worry about. Thanks!

A very few people Including manager at sgh yesterday where I ordered Canteens and myself get migraines from them. We r a small minority but it can happen ... Most of the people say there r no downsides and for most that's true. Saves me $ anyway....

Interesting, I could see that...don't imagine it would happen fast enough to be able to determine without first purchasing. Guess I'll consider rolling the dice. Thanks for the info!

No, not really. Sometimes you can get a kinda rainbow effect looking at certain reflective surfaces, but I like that. Otherwise they're a great value add and I'd recommend them for anybody.

Personally I find them annoying. The way they mess up electronic screens, show weird reflections etc bug me. I don't see a real upshot to them to be honest. Almost starting to think they've been a marketing gimmick since the beginning with that Maui Jim sign at Sunglass Hut that turns all colorful when you put the glasses on. Unless someone can tell me about a hidden benefit to my eyes I jus can't see?

Personally I find them annoying. The way they mess up electronic screens, show weird reflections etc bug me. I don't see a real upshot to them to be honest. Almost starting to think they've been a marketing gimmick since the beginning with that Maui Jim sign at Sunglass Hut that turns all colorful when you put the glasses on. Unless someone can tell me about a hidden benefit to my eyes I jus can't see?
If you lived on the Ocean, a Lake, Ski, etc you would def. benefit from Polar lenses. Even just driving they benefit you but cutting glare.

No they're excellent. Other than the few that get headaches from them and some electronic screen issues, polarized lenses help to damn near eliminate glare from objects and are excellent around water and for me, driving.

For certain sports they have a mild affect on depth perception. So a golfer or shooter that's used to range estimating normally, to start wearing polarized lenses you may or may not notice you're a bit more off than usual.

As someone who has sensitive eyes polarized is NOT a gimmick. The amount of glare reduction is a real benefit. If wearing black iridium is pleasant, black iridium polarized is a pleasure. Grass, water, roads, cars, signs, they all produce glare.

Yeah, my clock gets a little funky in my car, but most of my other screens aren't affected. My phone might look a little funny. I don't see it as a problem given the benefits.

Oddly, i get eye strain from Maui Jim polarized, but somehow, I do not from Oakley polarized. I can not explain this.
Is it possible there are different polarizing treatments that would cause more eye strain?

Latest Posts

Back