• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Downside To Polarized?

Too many people treat polarized lenses like they are simply "the top lens", when that is just not the case. A true 3D polarized lens is not intended for all-around use. I personally could not stand to use polarized lenses every day for every situation. They intrude much more on your viewing experience than standard tinted lenses do. That said, they have their place - I have a Radarlock array that is all polarized, which I use anytime i'm on the water or snow (frequent for me). In those conditions, the lenses are phenomenal and their advantages FAR outweigh their disadvantages. But even for driving, they make automobile control screens difficult to nearly impossible to read, they make tinted windows look like rainbows (I feel like im on acid in my wife's fully tinted car), and they mess with depth perception. I actually feel UNCOMFORTABLE wearing them while driving.

So I definitely do not recommend polarized lenses for general use. They should be on a secondary frame or a special-use frame like my Radarlock array is for me.
I'm gonna disagree on this but I also drive cars fully tinted including the windshield and have zero issues. I don't use a car radio as I play tunes from my phone. I think radios suck. I can see the GPS screens in all the cars with no issues whatsoever.

Maybe I'm so used to polarized but I have noticed zero disadvantages.

+1 Rustpot and OakleyFrank. I've had zero problems like that (except for some LCDs). Maybe the curvature of radarlocks is adding to your issues; try something with 8.75 or less.

I am not a fan of polarized. I feel like I am not getting as optically pure vision through them. That and they cause the rainbow effect in my tinted window vehicle. Finally, I cannot see my iPhone screen at all when wearing them. Yes, I know I shouldn't be looking at it when I'm driving, but we all do *some*thing we shouldn't.

All that being said, of my four pairs of flak jackets, I mostly wear my only polarized pair. Reason being, I work outdoors, driving a lot, in a hilly beach city in So Kal. The light bouncing off the water is visible from almost everywhere, and the glare reduction makes it worth it to me.

YMMV.

I am not a fan of polarized. I feel like I am not getting as optically pure vision through them. That and they cause the rainbow effect in my tinted window vehicle. Finally, I cannot see my iPhone screen at all when wearing them. Yes, I know I shouldn't be looking at it when I'm driving, but we all do *some*thing we shouldn't.

All that being said, of my four pairs of flak jackets, I mostly wear my only polarized pair. Reason being, I work outdoors, driving a lot, in a hilly beach city in So Kal. The light bouncing off the water is visible from almost everywhere, and the glare reduction makes it worth it to me.

YMMV.

I have the same feeling. I loose some depth perception with polarized and the glare cutting is not important to me apart from winter time (with sunny days). It also gets impossible to use LCD screens comfortably. I never got heaaches from wearing polarized though, but heard some people do. All in all I see polarized as an advantage in a very small amount of time I spend with sunglasses on my face (sunny winter, being at the water on a sunny day). For 95% of my sunglasses use I prefer the non polarized.

One thing this thread has taught me is that polar isn't for everybody; different strokes for different folks. But, IMHO, the majority seems to love them, so if you're on the fence, give them a shot and judge them for yourself.

If you don't like them, you can always sell them here...

One thing this thread has taught me is that polar isn't for everybody; different strokes for different folks. But, IMHO, the majority seems to love them, so if you're on the fence, give them a shot and judge them for yourself.

If you don't like them, you can always sell them here...

Or switch out lenses. It was a happy day i realized the polarization and not all Oakleys were causing the migraines.

Back