• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Downside To Polarized?

If y'all cant see electronic device screens then try 00 polarized. I heard about them but ive never tried them since i dont have problems with polarized lenses. But if y'all have migraines then i have no answer for that.

OO polar won't make a difference - the only "special" thing about OO polar is the G40 base tint. The LCD thing is because LCDs are polarized already, and if that polarization lines up with the polarization of your lenses, it gets blocked. Not all LCDs are polarized at that orientation so you only get problems with some of them.

And I think I need to call BS on the whole headaches and depth perception thing being caused by polarization. Headaches from eyewear are caused by eyestrain, where your eyes are subconsciously correcting for errors in the optics. You don't notice them when you look through them, but that's because your eyes have corrected for them. But over time it causes strain, headaches, and, long term, possibly damage. But polarization itself does not create optical errors for your eyes to correct. That's assuming you're using Oakley OEM polarized lenses and not 3rd party - 3rd party may not have the polarization orientation matching between both lenses, and they definitely have the inferior optics than can cause headaches.

And depth perception is the result of our stereo vision from looking out of two side-by-side eyes. You lose depth perception when you only look out of one eye. Polarization does not force you to only look out of one eye or otherwise inhibit stereo vision.

I'm not an Ophthalmologist or an Optometrist so I could be wrong. I also don't dispute that some of you may be suffering these symptoms. I'm just saying, AFAIK, polarization should not cause those sort of problems so maybe something else is the culprit and polarization is being falsely accused.

I have talked to several professionals. U can't call anything on this if it doesn't affect you. I have had several ophthalmologists and neurologists that tell me anywhere from 1 in 25 to 1 in 50 have this problem. This includes a former manager at a Vault and current manager at local SGH. Respectfully I must say it is insulting being accused of Bs... I have put a lot of time into researching this. Obviously I wouldn't have spent what I did to replace my polarized lenses if i could tolerate them.

I have talked to several professionals. U can't call anything on this if it doesn't affect you. I have had several ophthalmologists and neurologists that tell me anywhere from 1 in 25 to 1 in 50 have this problem. This includes a former manager at a Vault and current manager at local SGH. Respectfully I must say it is insulting being accused of Bs... I have put a lot of time into researching this. Obviously I wouldn't have spent what I did to replace my polarized lenses if i could tolerate them.

No insult intended - please note I finished my post saying that I wasn't a pro and could be wrong...

Its cool I know u didn't mean anything harsh. I just have to explain to a lot of people who don't believe it. Most telesales for Oakley have heard of that. Now my wife has seizure condition and migraines and is fine with polar... Sometimes I think because I am color blind and rx is so strong in contacts maybe it is all related. I can't do 3d movies either.. Only one i saw nearly killed me I felt drunk but not in a good way...

Yeah the headaches thing is documented medical fact. It doesn't happen to me, but it does happen to two different people I have known in my lifetime. Effect on depth perception is also a proven fact. Again, this is another thing that may or may not bother you. For me it's only an issue with aiming or judging really long line-of-sight distances and needing to be fairly accurate. It's not really something that's going to be a problem in daily life.

Too many people treat polarized lenses like they are simply "the top lens", when that is just not the case. A true 3D polarized lens is not intended for all-around use. I personally could not stand to use polarized lenses every day for every situation. They intrude much more on your viewing experience than standard tinted lenses do. That said, they have their place - I have a Radarlock array that is all polarized, which I use anytime i'm on the water or snow (frequent for me). In those conditions, the lenses are phenomenal and their advantages FAR outweigh their disadvantages. But even for driving, they make automobile control screens difficult to nearly impossible to read, they make tinted windows look like rainbows (I feel like im on acid in my wife's fully tinted car), and they mess with depth perception. I actually feel UNCOMFORTABLE wearing them while driving.

So I definitely do not recommend polarized lenses for general use. They should be on a secondary frame or a special-use frame like my Radarlock array is for me.
This is usually associated with factory direct tinted cars and those with lower quality aftermarket tint. This is why I always take polarized glasses when I tint a new car to make sure they aren't trying to substitute something other than the sample I chose.

This is usually associated with factory direct tinted cars and those with lower quality aftermarket tint. This is why I always take polarized glasses when I tint a new car to make sure they aren't trying to substitute something other than the sample I chose.
yes , i do the same.

can someone explain why polarized lens alter depth perception? Should we never use polarized lens when playing tennis or a active sport?

I don't know but I had a friend that did motocross and they weren't allowed to use polarized lenses I think it only happens with a few people... Like me - not the general population... Same reason maybe 3d movies give me a headache but people just love them.....

Back