• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Drop Point Icons

LaxCoach718

Oakley Beginner
First post here! Always joined forums for my vehicles but never thought about it for my sunglasses.

Anyway - backstory if you care, otherwise skip down...

LOVE the matte grey DP frames but they can't be customized on order. Since I'm impatient, I purchased those and also a pair of matte black/black prizm polarized and switched out the lenses (so I now have matte grey with black polar prizm and blue chrome icons to keep, and matte black with saphire polar prizm and silver icons which I'll try to unload later).

I would have ordered the blacked out American flags on the matte grey if I could have, but I'm pretty sure you can't order them on their own? However, I found some "replacement" icons on eBay from Hungary (which kind of worries me). Was thinking a gloss or matte black icon...

Questions:
Can the blue icons on these grey DPs be removed/replaced?

Is there a better/safer place to get replacement icons?

Welcome aboard, was the eBay seller from Hungary Sammler-Oakley? If so he is 100% lagit all the way, I have bought a few things from him with no issues. I do believe you can swap icons, I think they are glued on, try with steam or really hot water to remove them

Musicsberta is the eBay name, looks like they get their hands on warranty parts.

Anyone remove thier icons on these? That's what I was hoping for, 2xtape vs some heat.

Musicsberta is the eBay name, looks like they get their hands on warranty parts.

Anyone remove thier icons on these? That's what I was hoping for, 2xtape vs some heat.
Yes, all the time. I use a 3/32” flat head and leg after some time under hot water. Just be sure to lift carefully so the little glue doesn’t get detached, though I found the water method to be more effective with keeping the glue in tact over the blow dryer method.

If the glue isn’t perfectly sticking, just reheat it with a blow dryer from the opposite side and you’ll be good to go. I’ve swapped dozens of icons using this method. You could always take it up a notch and even paint your icons for a custom look!

Here are a couple examples, some custom painted but all have swapped icons
7F78FBFB-2B21-4D41-A8FF-842BC9A6ACB5.jpeg
B6AE78D2-9685-4CD6-9794-BB3345AE0FCA.jpeg
01EE8152-6C86-426A-9689-FD80B89E241C.jpeg
69C69830-94E8-44A4-B04B-1D5B771BCEE8.jpeg
86EA5E06-EB74-4446-9AB8-F5A9A01402B3.jpeg

even better - I just saw that one of my icons is actually falling off (I just got them last night...) and they have POP OUT icons. They are attached to a clear backing with the tab/snap combo. the icon is seperating from the clear backing, but I was able to pop the whole "assembly" right out.

even better - I just saw that one of my icons is actually falling off (I just got them last night...) and they have POP OUT icons. They are attached to a clear backing with the tab/snap combo. the icon is seperating from the clear backing, but I was able to pop the whole "assembly" right out.
There you go! I’m not familiar with that frame, so did not know. Wish Oakley did this with more frames, though I understand why they don’t. Glad that worked out for you!

There you go! I’m not familiar with that frame, so did not know. Wish Oakley did this with more frames, though I understand why they don’t. Glad that worked out for you!

Contact with Oak says they do not sell the icons separate - as the frame is listed as "one piece" and it becomes a quality control issue - although you can customize them with whatever icon you want when you order them so they have them on hand. But good to know if i can collect some, they're easy to swap out!

They would make a killing if they were available, since all you maniacs are peeling them out and painting them! ;)

Contact with Oak says they do not sell the icons separate - as the frame is listed as "one piece" and it becomes a quality control issue - although you can customize them with whatever icon you want when you order them so they have them on hand. But good to know if i can collect some, they're easy to swap out!

They would make a killing if they were available, since all you maniacs are peeling them out and painting them! ;)
There are people that do sell them, though I think there ridiculously over priced on eBay, this why I resort to spray painting. The paint does get expensive, but worth it for multiple projects. The guys at my local Vault have given me spare icons for free when I brought in a pair of Flak 2.0s with icons that were worn and peeling

Latest Posts

Back